New Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Disc is in two sections

The hard disc on my computer seems to be split into two parts (partitions?) "C & "D" "D" is labled Recovery.
    I have created a "system restore disc" and my files are automatically backed up to an external hard disc weekly.
    My question is twofold:
    1. Do I really need the "D" Recovery, or can I delete whatever is contained there?
    2. If so is it possible to change the disc to have just one part "C"
    The computer was supplied with Windows Vista but I subsequently upgraded to windows 7.
    Any help would be gratefully received.
    RavenSteve
    RavenSteve

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    "Recovery" is often a partition supplied by an OEM that can be used to restore your PC to the condition it was in as it left the factory. Since you have upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 it is unlikely that you'd still need the recovery partition. You should be able to use disk management to delete the "D" partition and then add the free space to "C".

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

RavenSteve (2011-10-21)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSteve View Post
    Any help would be gratefully received.
    "RS"
    Hello... OK here is my take ...
    1.Image the "Recovery" portion of you Hard Drive.. either Windows or 3rd party ...I would go with 3rd party ..Post back if you need more info.
    2.Place the image on an external HD or Disks , or Flash drive .
    3.Then do as you suggest... Delete the "Recovery" and add the new space back to your C:. Post back if your unsure how.
    4.The reason .. The recovery is the original OS... If you at some time decide to give the PC away ...you then can re-install the "Recovery"..or ..in the case of disaster, you could always go back to "Time Zero"
    5.Do an Image of the whole drive NOW! (as the system is set up the way you want)...Remember "Imaging" is the most important thing you can do for you PC. The time you would spend getting the PC back in case of HD failure would be huge ..or a virus that renders your PC UN-boot-able ..Just make sure that you burn a "recovery disk" Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-10-21 at 19:42.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I have to agree with Fred. Create an Image of the entire HD, then get rid of the Recovery drive. Disk Manager may not work if the Recovery patition is in front of the OS partition. You would need a 3rd party partitioning app. I would trust the 3rd party app more than the built in Disk Manager anyway. I have both Partition Wizard and Easeus Partition Magic (free). Both are very effective at doing what you wish to do.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred
    Thanks! I have a recovery disc which I regularly update.I have followed the rest of your suggestions and this has worked OK.
    I now have just one partition.
    Again Thanks
    Steve
    RavenSteve

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted
    Thanks for the advice,however Disc Manager worked OK.
    Again thanks
    RavenSteve