Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I purchased Acronis Disk Director about 2 years back and have used it 3 times now.

Having the system look for an old partition for the programs loaded on E:Programs would be a show stopper. Uninstall then reinstall all of them would be a hassle. Though I have programs that I do not or seldom use.

I have thought about reloading XP from scratch. If that was the case, then I would simply have to reload all the programs I still use that were on E:Programs. I have saved most of the miscellaneous program exe files.

More thought about the cleanup required.

Thanks
    Al

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back.
    Paul Erdos

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slide-Rule View Post
    Having the system look for an old partition for the programs loaded on E:Programs would be a show stopper. Uninstall then reinstall all of them would be a hassle. Though I have programs that I do not or seldom use.
    The registry can be edited to reflect the new partition letter, and XP would never know that anything had been moved. All your programs would work as they always had.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    The registry can be edited to reflect the new partition letter, and XP would never know that anything had been moved. All your programs would work as they always had.
    "b"

Hello... sounds interesting could you give us an example? Would you search the registry (edit>find>F-3) and once found ...what next? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    "b"

Hello... sounds interesting could you give us an example? Would you search the registry (edit>find>F-3) and once found ...what next? Regards Fred
    Yes, one starts with a registry search. In the case of backing up C: and E: and then merging the two, where E: goes away, the registry search would start with Edit > Find and type "E:" in the search box (without the quotes) and hit enter. Then with each registry path value that begins with E:, change the E: to C:, hit Enter, then hit F3 and continue through the registry until all the path values are changed to C:.

Any values that resist the change can be overcome by taking ownership of the value/key.

There will be lots of entries. Registry Toolkit from Funduc software can automate this task.

I would also suggest repeating the search through the registry, until no further E: entries are found. If one does use Registry Tookit, make a final search using regedit.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Just Plain Fred (2011-12-10)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12