3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question WiFi and Bluetooth question

Hi all. I'm not sure if this question should go into this forum but here goes. I have a PC I planned to hook up to a TV. The PC would use 802.11g WiFi to access my home network and the Internet. I started looking for a mini keyboard/mouse to use with this and realized that there might be an issue using either Bluetooth or 2.4 GHz band devices (that aren't Bluetooth). The PC would have a WiFi NIC in it and something, either a Bluetooth adapter or other 2.4 GHz device, connected and used at the same time. How do people get around this issue other then utilizing 802.11n?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    It shouldn't really be a problem. When I travel in our motor home I have a router/repeater {using 802.11G} hooked up to an external antenna to get better reception. My wife can both connect to the router and we also have an HP wireless printer connected. I use a Logitech Wireless external KBD/Mouse with my laptop and my wife uses a Logitech wireless mouse with hers. This is all in the confines of the living area of a small metal box and we do not have any interference problems.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good to know. Actually, so now the question is whether or not to use Bluetooth vs. regular 2.4 GHz RF. Which is better? The keyboard/mouse unit won't every be used more than 15' away from the PC. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by telecomguy9 View Post
    the question is whether or not to use Bluetooth vs. regular 2.4 GHz RF. Which is better? The keyboard/mouse unit won't every be used more than 15' away from the PC. Any thoughts?
    Bluetooth is more convenient since you don't need a USB receiver or the free USB port to plug it into. However, Bluetooth devices, in my experience, are more expensive than the USB receiver equivalents. I love my new Logitech MK520 KBD/Mouse {review here} combo with the unifying receiver, a small USB receiver you can leave in place all the time and handles up to 5 compatible devices.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I'm a little confused about the Bluetooth stuff. Take this item for example:

http://www.magic-pro.com/en/product/...niBTTouch2.htm

It looks pretty cool, but what confuses me is that the system requirements include a Bluetooth enabled PC (if you want to use it with a PC). However it shows that it comes with a Bluetooth dongle. I don't get it. I thought the Bluetooth dongle is what you'd plug into your PC but now I'm wondering if the Bluetooth dongle plugs into the keyboard/mouse device to provide it with Bluetooth, and thus you'd need a Bluetooth enabled PC.

Am I right? Does that make sense?

Thanks
    TCG,

Do you speak Japanese? Here's a youtube video on the device. Did you realize how small it is?
    I can't tell if the slot in the keyboard if for storage or the dongle goes there to operate.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs