Star Lounger
    Thanks

reinstalling office 2003 upgrade

I am in the process of starting from scratch on an old XP computer. I am removing all, including the operating system. When I reinstall my office 2003 which is an upgrade version how can I get it to work if I don't have an old version any more. I had to reinstall it about 6 years ago after a hard drive crash. There won't be anything for it to find on the computer and I will probably need to have the old version cd for it to install the upgrade. Is there something I can put in the registry? Just want to know if there is a way around using a previous version cd? If not I will have to do some looking for it. Why am I still using a 2003 version, you may ask. I don't think this old computer could handle a newer version.
    Thanks
    Last edited by xyiegphriedt; 2011-10-21 at 22:05.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To answer your second question first, you might compare the specifications of your 'old' computer with the required specifications to run a 'new' version of Office and be pleasantly surprised, if not astonished. Most of Office is not particularly resource-hungry, although it helps to have more than the minimum. It is Windows that guzzles the resources. I am in the position of having a 'loaded' old computer (with Office 2010) that I am trying to figure out how best to replace the present Win 7 operating system with the old XP, since everything that is on it will run under XP. Office 2003 is still a good product with a large user base, so you are not alone.

As to system information, including serial numbers, you might run SIW or Belarc Advisor or other such programs, and print out everything that you want. Revo Uninstaller is also a source of useful information that can be printed out, at least with the pro version.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

xyiegphriedt (2011-10-26)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will check out your information. Reason for still using 2003 is I am a cheap$kate. It does everything I need it to. I am retired and need Word, Excel for personal use only.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xyiegphriedt View Post
    Reason for still using 2003 is I am a cheap$kate. It does everything I need it to. I am retired and need Word, Excel for personal use only.
    There is nothing wrong in that, especially in uncertain times like these. On the other hand, XP is risky business from a security point of view of view if you spend much time online, and that is the attraction of Win 7. An additional attraction is that computers are now a commodity, and while your old machine probably cost a fortune in today's dollars, a new and vastly more powerful and reliable replacement with Win 7 pre-installed may be very attractively-priced even for a cheapskate, and you can still run your Office 2003 on that. I'm writing this on a laptop that has 6 GB of RAM, 750 GB of storage, an i3 processor, and Win 7 pre-installed that cost me a penny less than $500.