New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup software will not read internal hard drive

My O/S is win7 Pro x 64,all microsoft updates are current,I back up to an external hard drive using a dock and usb3 cable.I just recently purchased this computer.My Problem-I installed Macrium Reflect free edition and it does not read my internal hard drive,therefore I cannot select partition to back up . I downloaded the program a second time,first clearing all temp.files with ccleaner,and had similiar results,this time it read my external hard drive but not the internal hard drive.i tried Acronis and Paragon and had the same results they would not read my internal hard drive.
    Has anyone experienced this problem and if so where you able to resolve it........any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bluenose,

Welcome to the lounge as a poster.

Could you please provide some additional information?
    1. What is the make and model of your computer?
    2. What make, model, and size ofs your hard drive?
    3. How is the Hard drive formatted?
    4. Does you machine use BIOS or UEFI.
    5. Anything else you feel might be useful.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks

Back up software will not read internal hard drive

Additional Information-
    1.I had the computer custom built by a local computer shop.

2.Internal Hard Drive.........
    Mfg.-Seagate
    Model-ST3500410AS
    Size- 500 GB
    Hard drive has 7 partitions

3. The Internal hard drive was formatted at the computer shop I believe they used windows and it would be a quick format.

4.Motherboard-AsusTex,model-M4A88T-M/USB3

5.External hard drive in USB3 Dock
    Mfg..........Seagate
    Model....... ST3500413AS
    Size.......... 500 GB
    I did a quick format using disc management in windows.

6.Operating System-
    Windows 7 Pro x64 Service Pack 1 and is updated to todays date.

7.I always check downloads regardless of the site to ensure no malware or other creepy crawlers are present in the download. Following the first install of Macrium Reflect I scanned the operating system with Spybot,MalwareBytes and Windows7 firewall..........all scans came back clean.

8.During the installation of the 3 back up programs -(note individually installed/then uninstalled,then install the next program etc.)I did not receive any error messages.........

9.I think this may qualify as subject matter for the TV program.."Weird or What" Thank you for your interest.

Thanks
    Bluenose,

I can't spot anything off the bat. That MB has some pretty impressive specs! What you may try just as a shot in the dark is to disconnect the USB3 Drive and see if the HDs are recognized as sometimes USB ports can cause some weird problems. If they are recognized then plug in the USB3 drive and see if things work.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Bluenose (2011-10-28)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My question is for image mavens to answer in relation to your internal disk.
    Since it has 7 partitions and you are using W7x64, the shop may have converted the disk to GPT (GUID). In disk management do you see an extended partition with logical partitions inside (or a few logical partitions back to back)? If not you probably have a GPT disk which supports many more regular partitions.

So my question for the mavens if that's true, is how is support for GPT disk imaging presently and could that be the problem?

Thanks
    Infinicore,

Thanks, that what I was trying to get at in my first post but couldn't bring it to mind.
    Macrium V4 Free would not find GPT disks.
    Macrium V5 Free still will not support GPT disks. The Professional, read paid, version DOES!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In disc management there is an extended partition with logical partitions inside.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    THank you,I tried what you outlined and this time Macrium reflect recognized my internal H.D. ST350041 OAS...........and shows it as being INVALID,no partitions were displayed.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Disc management shows that :-
    DISC 0 has 7 Primary Partitions
    DISC 1 has only 2 Logical + 2 Primary
    Of the 2 primary one is noted as ACTIVE and is named System Reserved but has no letter, and the other is C:\

I know DISC 0 is GPT which free Macrium does not yet support.
    DISC 1 is my Primary Drive and is MBR.
    I do not know why it is not located as DISC 0 but I guess Windows has its reasons.

What are your partitions Bluenose?
    Are all your 7 partitions logical and within one extended partition, or are some of them Primary and similar to mine ?

Another freeware backup to consider is Easeus ToDo.
    Easeus does have a support forum that responds to its freeware users and they MAY be able to help you.
    I am sure that Macrium Forum and Macrium Support give better and faster support and will resolve any problems,
    but they achieve this by restricting support to those who have licensed their products.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alan.b For This Useful Post:

Bluenose (2011-10-28)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It maybe related but I post my experience here.
    It maybe related to BIOS.
    My PC may have older BIOS or older motherboard design. Even some 2010 backup software, when booted up from their boot-up disc, cannot see my SATA hard drives. When I changed the BIOS SATA setup to 'Legacy' mode, they, the backup software boot discs, all see the hard drives.
    Then my updated Acronis Home version also solved this problem. The updated Acronis boot-disc can see all the SATA hard drives, without me changing the BIOS SATA setup.
    Windows, though, has no problem seeing all the hard drives. No need to do BIOS SATA setup change. Backup software inside Windows can also see all the SATA drive without the BIOS SATA setup change.
    Hope this helps.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to scaisson For This Useful Post:

Bluenose (2011-10-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My partitiions are logical within one extended partition.I just downloaded Easeus ToDo and it recognizes my partitions and remote hard drive for storage. Thank you for your input.