Thanks

Is Preview Pane still a risk?

Will Outlook run active content in emails viewed in the preview pane? In other words, can you get infected by viewing (not opening attachments) a malicious email? I know it longer opens graphics to protect privacy, but what about infection concerns?

Thanks

Thanks
    Starting in Outlook 2007, HTML messages are rendered using code derived from Word rather than using the Internet Explorer rendering engine. This significantly reduces the types of "active content" that will run in either the Reading Pane or when the message is viewed in full. But is it completely safe? I'm not sure anyone can say that.

Thanks
    OK thanks for the info.

My concern then is that if the content is being rendered rather than viewed as plain text, that there is a chance that malicious content could deliver its payload. I've looked around a bit, can't seem to find any definitive answer, just a lot of conjecture.

Thanks

Thanks
    Plain text will always be safest. The problem with assessing the risk is that attackers keep discovering little security flaws in HTML rendering engines, several times a year, so there will always be some level of exposure.

Thanks
    My experience shows a lot of people that use the preview pane. Yet I rarely if ever read about it being a security risk anymore, so I am uncertain if I should warn people that I come across who use it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I am uncertain if I should warn people that I come across who use it.
    If they have a decent spam and virus filter, then I wouldn't bother warning them about it.