5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installation CD, Win XP, Win XP Pro (SP 2)

Hello, Again -

My Dell 2400 has the CD-ROM image for Wndows XP (meaning, I am told, this is found in folder I386.along with its winnt.exe and winnt32.exe). [I386 is not on my XP Pro]

Can I make a copy of this folder for use on XP Pro should my system crash?

As always, thank you!

XP Pro is on Dell Optiplex Gx240
    Last edited by acerfmayer; 2011-10-22 at 19:01.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Generally, Dell computers have a Recovery Partition that is accessed by pressing Ctrl+F11 at boot. This will restore your computer to the condition it was in when you took it out of the box. So if you use a program like Macrium Reflect V5 {free edition} and make an image backup you should be covered should your disk fail you can restore the image to a new disk and be ok! In the event of other problems that don't involve the physical failure of the hard drive and are severe enough to require a reinstall you can use the Ctrl+F11 trick. I believe you can also call Dell and for a small fee get an XP installation disk.

All that said, the Optiplex is a Dell business machine and I don't know if they are set up like their home counterparts. In any event an image backup is still your best option. IMHO
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for this information!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    acerfmayer,

Just FYI, Dell's business-class machines (such as the Optiplex model line) did not ship with the DSR (Dell System Restore) described by RetiredGeek. DSR was only included on their home-user model lines (Inspiron laptops and Dimension desktops). However, most--if not all--Dimension 2400's were shipped before the introduction of DSR in Jul-2004, so your 2400 probably doesn't have the DSR system, either.

Dell's OEM XP Reinstallation CDs are not model-specific, so if you know any friends or relatives that have a Dell and still have their XP-Pro Reinstallation CD, just make a copy of it. It's legal as long as the version (e.g., XP-Home vs. XP-Pro) matches the COA sticker on the side of your Optiplex's case.

Note that reinstalling XP will leave you with a plain old Microsoft installation, without Dell's drivers (even though it's a Dell CD), bundled software, or the hundreds of Windows updates. To avoid redoing all that, you may want to investigate the myriad and highly popular cloning/imaging tools available.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for all the useful info!