Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Can't open a website

    I upgraded to IE9 on Friday afternoon in the hope of resolving an issue of some sites taking a while to open after recent windows updates.
    Things were slightly improved, but not to what they were. Some sites are opening instantly as always, others sometimes take a while.

    On Friday evening I visited a site I visit regularly and all was well. On Satuday evening I only got 'page cannot be displayed' and sometimes the whirly timer turns for a few seconds and then just stops. It's the same today.
    I checked with a friend and she can access the site with no problem.

    I tried adding the site to the trusted sites in internet options/security, but it makes no difference.
    I also disabled Kaspersky KIS12 for a short while, but that didn't help either.
    Last thing I've tried is using a proxy server, and that also won't work.

    Edit - just downloaded Chrome and that works fine, so it's definitely an IE problem..
    Last edited by Pictor; 2011-10-23 at 06:11. Reason: Additional info

  2. #2
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,792
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 798 Times in 719 Posts
    Try running IE without add ons. (Safe Mode)
    The easiest way to run Internet Explorer in safe mode is to type Internet explorer in the search box of Windows start menu and choose “Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)“as shown in the following image:

    This will disable all add-ons in Internet explorer and open the browser in safe mode.

    Jerry

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

    Pictor (2011-10-23)

  4. #3
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    When you have a problem with one or a few web sites that you have frequented in the past, the culprit can lie in cached files (Temporary Internet Files) or corrupted cookies. Try clearing your cache/TIF and deleting the site's cookie(s).

  5. #4
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Jerry - Thanks. I'd tried that last week when IE8 began intermittently opening pages incredibly slowly or not at all, and it made no difference. I hadn't thought to try it with IE9!
    On Friday afternoon I installed IE9 and it made things better if not perfect. The site in question was working fine that night though. Saturday, and this morning the site would not open at all, but others could open it so it wasn't a site problem.
    As mentioned, I then downloaded Chrome today and the site worked in that, and browsing speed was more like I'd been used to before last weeks Windows updates.

    So I tried your suggestion: used IE without add-ons (neat & easy method of using it by the way!) and the site opened right away!
    I know that browsing 'without add-ons' reverts to normal once the browser is closed, and a while later went back to the site but with add-ons enabled, and it actually opened!!
    No saying it'll do it later or even tomorrow, but I'll keep checking.

    My son has had similar problems but not as bad on sites he's used, and he also has IE9 with Windows 7 fully updated.

    I don't have updates set to download automatically - or didn't have - but somehow, they downloaded and installed last week. Have re-set it now, but I have a number of unintended updates and have naturally wondered if one of those has caused my problem. Somehow, my updates had been re-set and so had the % to use slider on system restore! (no-one else uses the computer) Computer only 8 months old and never had any such problems until now.


    jscher2000 - Thanks, but I run disk cleanup every night (more if needed), and use the Superantispyeware online scanner for tracking cookies every week. I ran that twice in the last couple of days too, but there was no difference.

  6. #5
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
    jscher2000 - Thanks, but I run disk cleanup every night (more if needed), and use the Superantispyeware online scanner for tracking cookies every week. I ran that twice in the last couple of days too, but there was no difference.
    Are all cookies considered "tracking cookies"? Not sure whether that really does the job on the particular cookies I'm suggesting you delete.

  7. #6
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    After much searching and checking, I contacted my ISP ...they sent a whole list of stuff to do and check that I just knew wouldn't fix anything.
    I suddenly thought to phone the computer company where I bought my new computer & router last March. He had me look in the router settings reports and said the attentuation and noise figures suggested that a BT line fault had caused it to re-sync badly, and that was why my connection had slowed to 0.69.
    Told me to unplug the router for a few minutes, then try it again - bingo! Got a speed of 3.84MBPS.
    I know nothing about attenuation and noise.
    He did say it could happen again if there's still some external fault, but at least I know where to look first now!

    Thanks very much everyone for your help.
    Last edited by Pictor; 2011-10-26 at 15:30.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •