New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Hand held PDA for Win 7 Prof, 64-bit?

The hard drive in my 7.5 year old Dell Inspiron crashed several weeks ago and I replaced it with a new Dell Vostro loaded with 64-bit Win 7 Professional. As a result, I've had to upgrade or replace much of the software and/or devices I was using previously. One item that has been particularly difficult to replace has been my old Palm Z22 PDA. I LOVE my Palm .. this was my second; and I only replaced the first because I accidentally dropped it and it would no longer function after that. As a result of having lost my previous hard drive, I necessarily lost my back up file(s) for the content of my Palm. I wouldn't be too horribly concerned except that my little Z22 is beginning to be erratic with regard to its touch response. I've had to reset the thing repeatedly, only to find that the touch response will only work two or three times before it becomes unresponsive again. I lost a whole lot of info on it once a year or so ago when I overloaded it beyond its apparent capacity before trying to sync with the laptop. I still don't know which contacts I lost until I go looking for one that's no longer there.

I would dearly love to save what I have left (and have subsequently added) onto a new device, but I'm having a helluva time finding another (non-phone) hand held PDA that has software capable of working in a 64-bit Win 7 environment. Every time I find a bulletin board where someone has listed their success with one, I find out their Win 7 version is a 32-bit. Or they've set up the Win XP compatibility function on their Win 7 - which I'm uncomfortable trying (don't have the time to mess with it, though it might have saved me a bit of a headache if I could have loaded a few other other old XP programs).

If no one knows of a simple hand held PDA out there (I use the Z22 mostly for its calendar and contacts), perhaps the next best thing is some sort of freeware I might load so I can at least move my contacts to a source I can access reliably, even if not in a mobile fashion. I really, really don't want to upgrade to a smartphone .. the thought of having a device with EVERYTHING on it (all my mp3 files, contacts, calendar and phone numbers) break, get lost or stolen or otherwise die on me makes me shiver just to think about it. If I can't find anything that works, I may just go back to my old Franklin Day Timer .. I still have several old binders in two or three different sizes. Though I admit I'd miss the truly compact, digital aspect of a PDA.

Any suggestions??

Karan

Thanks
    have you checked out HP's web site?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Karen,

What follows is my opinion only!

Three years ago I had the same problem when I switched to Win 7 both my Palm and my wife's HandSpring {palm OS} could no longer be synced. We made the jump to Blackberry Bolds {you could actually get them w/o a data plan back then} since they would sync w/Outlook. We both couldn't have been happier. The sync was actually easier using the BB software than the Palm software and now we carry one device vs two plus we have a serviceable camera for unexpected shots.

Now of course we're looking at touch screen devices w/data plan but the overage thing is really a bummer for someone on a fixed income. I'm still researching and am really not in a hurry, although I think the better half would prefer sooner rather than later.

A good password should protect your data if you loose the phone and many now offer remote wipe in case of loss. Do your research and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I wasn't particularily pleased with my first Blackberry but knew I had to do something. I was going to go Win7 phone but they weren't available through Verizon at the time so I chose a BB Bold. To transfer music, pic, and videos with their desktop software was a breeze, but not so much files..that was a real pain in the B$%#^. That is, until Version 6. Now it is a matter of drag and drop... So I give a +1 to what Retired Geek says about BB. Take a look I think you will be happy. I know I am.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    My wife and I both have BB curves, and we can't wait until December so we can get rid of them. I am on my 8th or 9th in less than 2 years. She is only on her 3rd, but enough is enough. The quality of BB has nose dived in my opinion. They can't compete any more. I do not know what I will get in December but I'll muddle through and good riddance to BB.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Much as I hate to recommend Apple products, have you considered an iPod Touch? That is pretty much an iPhone without the phone capability. And syncing with Outlook is one of the things it can do: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1296

Thanks
    (I see you said you don't have time for this, so please disregard.)

Windows 7 Professional includes XP Mode. I think you could run the old version of Palm Desktop in XP Mode. However, I don't know whether it would be able to find and sync with Outlook files elsewhere on the hard drive (elsewhere than wherever the XP Mode virtual machine stores its files). Perhaps someone on the Palm support forums has tried it??

http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb2...y/page_en.html
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-10-24 at 21:01. Reason: Oh, yeah.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @ Cafed00d - I actually have an iPod Touch .. but was using the Contact segment for phone numbers only. I had thought about using it as a Contact replacement, but I know from friends who've owned them that they occasionally just die. Sometimes within just days after their warranty has expired (and mine expires in Feb). If I can find nothing else .. and I really don't want to upgrade to a smartphone .. it may be my only digital choice. Thanks for reminding me ... and the Outlook syncing capability is significant (didn't know that), since I did purchase MS Office suite when I got the new laptop and have it loaded. I've never used Outlook, but being able to sync the thing to a reliable bit of software definitely makes a difference. What's a little learning curve in comparison?

@ t8ntlikly - I stumbled upon HP accidentally when trying to reach Palm.com. HP is where you're now directed. I didn't look too far, but will give it a a closer look. : )

@ BB users - had checked out a friend's BlackBerry .. then they had a BlackOUT .. and I changed my mind ; )

"Reliable" is what I'm hoping for. Though it seems as though reliability is no longer built into these products. I read some of the consumer reviews on Amazon (and several tech sites) and cringe at some of the negative reviews. It seems as though these companies are not necessarily looking for customer loyalty with reliability, but with upgrades to newer, bigger, better & improved. I'd prefer longevity ..
    Last edited by TheWildInside; 2011-10-26 at 14:10.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    (I see you said you don't have time for this, so please disregard.)

Windows 7 Professional includes XP Mode. I think you could run the old version of Palm Desktop in XP Mode. However, I don't know whether it would be able to find and sync with Outlook files elsewhere on the hard drive (elsewhere than wherever the XP Mode virtual machine stores its files). Perhaps someone on the Palm support forums has tried it??

http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb2...y/page_en.html
    I probably should have taken the time to figure it out .. it would have definitely saved me some money, too. But I've been through so much laptop hell over the last five or six months, I just wanted to load n go. For a while anyway. Perhaps once I've calmed down a little, the XP Mode will call to me. It's not like it's going anywhere : )