Lounger
    Thanks

Best Office 10 reference book

I recently upgraded from Office 2003 to 2010 and am looking for a good reference book. I agree with all the discussions in this forum about the poor help in Microsoft and other applications. I like all of you heavily count on Google and this forum to find answers to all my questions and computer problems, and I've always found the answer. I'm not looking to unlock any mysteries just basic answers to question like how do I change the font in Outlook panes or how do I allow clicking on links in my email and not get an absurd error message response. I did find one book that looked like it might do the job because of good graphics, "Step by Step Microsoft Office 2010" by Cox, Lambert & Frye. Do you think a book on a specific Office application Like Outlook might be better than a book on the Office 2010 suite? Any comments

Thanks, Ralph

Thanks
    I would just use the free online training offered by MS. I have used some of these courses and they really are quite good.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

lesle (2012-02-23)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft Office 2010 Simplified by Kate Shoup form Wiley Publishing. $30.00 wiley.com/go/visual

The best thing about this book is the pictures. They are large enough to see!

The instructions are numbered, the number points to something in the example. Simple concept that works.

The book does not go into much detail, just basics.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Lounge isn't the only helpful Office source online: perhaps we can compile a list of other sites and newsletters, many of which will be from MS MVPs, and many of which specialize in a specific application. I'm sure we can come up with any number of bookmarks to add to your Favorites.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ouch

I replied to the OP in the middle of the night, it was too late to offer suggestions, and that was as far as I got. Please accept my sincere apology.

I mentioned Microsoft MVPs, but many of those are hi-tech for most of us, especially when we are just trying to learn the suite. Even so, if you want to zoom in on something, just Google Windows MVP for a start and browse a bit, and then make your searches more specific. Omit Microsoft and toss an MVP into the computer terms you have in mind and you stand a good chance of getting what you want, but at the risk of getting a player for a sports team.

The Windows Club has a section on Office 2010, and it has an MVP icon, but it’s not likely to stand out among searches on MVP, so that’s the reason for suggesting that we try to compile some bookmarks we can all share. MVP is just a bit of insurance against self-promotion by sites of questionable value ballooning the list of candidates. This forum could have an approval seal of its own, (I think that has already been done by Lockergnome, which is a very well-known site that you might consider visiting or bookmarking).

A quick overview of things we might accumulate bookmarks for in online sources suggests magazines, say Wired (which is updated continuously), if they interest you, newsletters, such as WindowsSecrets, and forums like the present, for which I hope we can provide a healthy list.

It would be a helpful contribution if someone can suggest how best to format and edit this. My present thinking is that a simple list of hot links that we can all review and bookmark those we like and don’t already have bookmarked might be the most compact. We can have a ratings and comments war if we want, but much will depend on our personal needs and level of expertise.

Your biggest need may be for tutorials or, as per the OP, a textbook. For my purposes, I like Lynda.com, which is a paid online service where I seem able to accumulate a lot of information in a short time. It helps a lot when you are learning something as big as a new suite. At the same time, I am discovering that there are a lot of free video tutorials in the so-called social media, and you may be able to search on that.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2011-12-15 at 12:03.