Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2007 - losing content controls in unlinked footers

Hi All,

I'm creating a template for a client and he wants doc properties inserted as content controls in the headers and footers (because they update immediately, unlike fields). The template has 3 sections with a different footer style in section 3. After inserting the controls in all the odd/even footers, I save the template and the the controls in the section 3 unlinked footers are converted to text. The headers are all linked and retain the content controls in all sections.

Does anyone know if there's any solution to this, other than having different content in the section 3 footers? (The client doesn't want the same footer style in all 3 sections.)

thanks a lot,

Glenda

Thanks
    I didn't go through checking your particular situation because there's a simple way to do what your client wants. Use StyleRef fields. You can create a character style to handle the information you want updated. Then use a StyleRef field to pull it into the header/footer. It also updates immediately.

Otherwise, see Mapped Content Controls for more ideas.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glenda

Can you post a cut down document that demonstrates this problem?

Are you saying that the footer in section 3 loses its content controls even though it is linked to section 2 which still has its content controls?

Is it possibly caused by the document being saved in doc format (which doesn't support content controls)?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Glenro (2011-10-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew,

It's a .dotx template, developed in Word 2007 from scratch. The footers in the first 2 sections (front cover page, ToC section) have a terracotta background with pale text containing content controls (version, status) and are linked. The third section, which will contain the body of the documents based on the template, has a footer with a white background and black text with terracoota line above, so I can't link it to the previous footer. The client doesn't want the coloured background throughout the docs (overkill), but would like the same content in the third section footers. However, after I manually insert the content controls in the odd & even section 3 footers, then save the template, the content controls are lost and replaced by the 'prompt' text I've entered in the Version and Status boxes in the doc properties pane (eg, Enter the doc version in the Version box).

I don't think the client would approve of me posting a copy of the template.

Thanks a lot,

Glenda

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Charles,

I'm not familiar with StyleRef fields, have just looked up what they are. I could use one to insert the title in the header, but currently, the doc version and status are only in the template footers and don't appear anywhere else. I'll look into this and check the link you've supplied.

Many thanks

Glenda

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew & Charles,

I created a sample template with linked & unlinked headers and footers. By chance, I added a 4th section and discovered that, when I create a doc from the template, section 4 loses the content control but section 3 retains it, even though not linked to sections 1 & 2. Not a real solution, though - there's no guarantee a user won't delete the extra section break if I add one to the template (it's a multi-purpose template with optional Appendices).

Regards,

Glenda

Thanks
    Curiouser and curiouser! I don't think a StyleRef will work if the only reference is in a header or footer, but I may be wrong. It won't hurt to try. Remember that the Style does not have to change any formatting; it is merely used as a marker. I'm surprised that the version and status are not on the cover page. You can have the content control used for the initial entry formatted using the marker style.

Is the last section by chance protected in some way?

Have you looked at Greg Maxey's Mapped Content Controls? He's played with these a lot more than I have.

To post a sample, consider removing text and using the =rand(x,y) function to provide filler. (x and y are small integers designating the number of sentences and paragraphs) Although nothing posted on the Internet is ever gone, you can remove anything you post once it has served its purpose.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2011-10-25 at 06:37.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you looked at the properties of the content controls in that section? There is a setting (Developer Tab > Controls > Property) that removes the Content Control when edited.

It is possible that this is the cause of your self-destructing CC since you are creating a new document and the presumably the document properties are 'edited' as a result.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Andrew & Charles,

The template is not currently protected and I didn't set any properties for the content controls initially. Most will be edited so I wouldn't prevent that. One of them is optional - users might remove it from the footer, depending on the type of doc they're creating.

I tried yesterday setting the 'cc cannot be deleted' option for one of the controls in the footer, but it was still lost and replaced bythe 'prompt' text currently in the Status doc property box when I based a new doc on the template.

I've attached a docx based on a 'mock-up' template that I created that mimics what I've done in my real template (apart from the background image in the footers in sections 1 & 2 and the client's logo in the header). When I saved and closed this template, the Status content control was there in the footer in section 3, but it's gone when I reopen the template or base a doc on it.

Thanks very much for looking at this for me. I also have an issue with Quick tables and table styles I've set suddenly aquiring bullets - will put out a separate post for this - it's driving me crazy!

Regards

Glenda
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glenda

Using Word 2010, I had a look at your file and added another CC to the last footer, saved and closed.
    When I reopened it the CC was still there. Then I tried right clicking the document and created New (ie used the docx as a template) and the CC was also still present.

From this, I surmise that it may be restricted specifically to Word 2007 - or perhaps an addin/code you have running. Perhaps someone else with Word 2007 can test your file and see if they get the same problem you are experiencing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for having a look, Andrew. My husband has had a look on his computer using Word 2007 and gets the same result as I do. I'm not conciously using any addins. Looks like I'll have to use different content in the 3rd section footers

I forgot to say that I did look at Greg Maxey's page, Charles, but it didn't offer a solution. Thanks for the link - I thought I'd thanked you after your first mail, but somehow Andrew got the thanks instead! I haven't used the lounge in ages so am still finding my way around.

Thanks
    Glenda

Using Word 2007, I had a look at your file and added another CC to the last footer, saved and closed.
    When I reopened it the CC was still there. Then I tried creating New (ie used the docx as a template) and the CC was also still present.

I enclose my modified file. I would suggest you try doing the same thing on your end with the file you posted and with my version.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2011-10-26 at 09:03.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Charles,

I've finally resolved the problem.

I don't have auto updates turned on, and hadn't installed SP2 (I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't go looking for a service pack before raising this issue). Now that I have SP2 installed, I no longer lose the doc property content controls in the final section footers.

Many thanks for your help - I've learned a salutory lesson!

regards

Glenda

New Lounger
    Thanks

content controls lose font colour

Hi all,

Just when I thought I was out of the woods having installed SP2 for Office 2007 - the doc property content controls in the footers and headers now lose the font colour when I base a new doc on my template and update the doc properties.

I've tried creating a dummy template with doc property content controls in the headers and footers, in multiple sections, using coloured text, as I have in my template, and they don't lose the font colour. Only thing they don't have is the coloured backgrounds.

I'm at my wits end by now, I've tried everything I can think of. The content controls were all inserted individually using Insert>Quickparts>Doc Properties.

Thanks a stack in hopeful anticipation of an answer! Doc stripped of logos etc attached.

Regards

Glenda

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Service Pack 3 appears to have fixed this bug. I've now subscribed to an RSS feed so that I don't miss the next service pack!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast