2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tweak Win7 to use added RAM?

I just bought two ram sticks to double my system memory from 8 to 16GB. I know that the extra ram is unlikely to be of much use, but the sale price on the ram was irresistible. My question: Are there any tweaks or settings that I can make to Windows 7 to make better use of the mostly excess ram?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    In a word - NO. Windows 7 does a good job in managing RAM. If will keep all kinds of things in RAM as long as it is available.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. Maybe the extra ram will be used after all. I sort of hoped Windows would preload commonly used applications; maybe it will.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It will not preload applications. However, you can add applications to your startup folder if you care to. I wouldn't bother. Once Windows loads an application it will stay in RAM until the memory is needed.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have 6 or more cores and utilize an SSD or two on USB 3 or native SATA III, you can run more OSes in VMs; in other words, if you continue to build out a balanced system, yes. Otherwise you metaphorically went from 4 foot arms to 8 foot arms; still can't feed your pie hole any faster, except once in a while you don't have to take a sec to move closer to your food to get at it....bad analogy?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I must have messed up the "post" on my reply to Infinicore, or it will turn up twice. What I wrote was that I am running an i7 2600 (8 virtual cores). I use VMWare player, which I assume I cannot tweak when I use pre-existing machines. I also use VirtualBox to run Linux machines. Should I try to increase the amount of ram assigned to them? Can I do that without having to rebuild the machine?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now you're talkin', I'm pretty sure you can increase RAM allocation in VirtualBox, for sure in VMWare Player, just make the adjustments when the VM is not running. Also, can you assign 8 processors to a VM or just the actual number (just curious)? I find the more I can assign the better the VMs run and it doesn't seem to affect the host performance one way or another. Of course it also makes a difference in what you're actually processing in the VMs.

As alluded to earlier, I didn't get a performance breakthrough going from 4 to 8 gigs of RAM, getting the VMs on an appropriately channeled SSD was Yatzee! time regardless of 4 or 8. In fact I had to install W7x64 to make use of 8 gig and if anything performance took a slight hit. Seemed like Ubuntu and XP got out of the way better.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I will look at the virtual machine software to see what I can change. I do seem to notice almost instant restarts of applications after adding the RAM. FWIW, I have my Win7 installed on a Vertex 3 SSD.

Thanks
    It's likely to be a very stupid question, but you are running Windows 7 64-bit, aren't you?!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have my Win7 installed on a Vertex 3 SSD.
    If you have your VMs on there too or on a second SSD....I'm very envious ; you got yourself a data slaughterhouse!!