Thanks

Num Lock constantly turning off

This is very annoying: somehow my Num Lock gets turned off numerous times per day. I switch programs all the time (usually using Alt+Tab) and lock the screen when I leave my desk. Some days it happens very frequently and others very rarely. I don't generally notice right away (the light on the keyboard is out of my normal line of sight), and perhaps for this reason I have not been able to determine the pattern.

Dell Optiplex 980, Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Office 2010 Home & Business

Web searches turn up lots of references to the start-up state of the Num Lock key, but those don't seem relevant for me.

Any thoughts? Maybe there's a little background program I can run that will ring a bell when the NumLock state changes so I have a chance of spotting a pattern.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Have you checked your BIOS to see if the key has an enable/disable feature?
    You can also verify that it is switched on in the registry.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Without sounding like I'm stating the obvious, but have you tried a different keyboard?

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Have you checked your BIOS to see if the key has an enable/disable feature?
    That setting does exist (per the Technical Guidebook), but I seldom restart, so I'll have to check whether it is set in a few days. Because NumLock turns off by itself, I'm not sure the startup setting is going to turn out to be relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    You can also verify that it is switched on in the registry.
    Yes, unfortunately, it turns off despite that setting or my turning it on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Without sounding like I'm stating the obvious, but have you tried a different keyboard?
    Just because this keyboard is 6 years old? It won't last forever? I think I actually did try a different (non-ergonomic) keyboard, but couldn't tolerate it so I didn't test it for very long. I will have to try again.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Any thoughts? Maybe there's a little background program I can run that will ring a bell when the NumLock state changes so I have a chance of spotting a pattern.
    Hi jscher,

See my post #3 in this recent thread here. The setting referenced also causes an audible "beep" when the Num Lock key is activated/ deactivated. I'd be very interested to know if it works to notify you when your problem occurs.

Good luck,
    John
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johjue View Post
    See my post #3 in this recent thread here. The setting referenced also causes an audible "beep" when the Num Lock key is activated/ deactivated. I'd be very interested to know if it works to notify you when your problem occurs.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Windows is beeping and booping when I press the CapsLock and NumLock keys, but I haven't noticed any sound when NumLock turns off by itself.

Still need to try a different keyboard.