Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reformat a hard drive from 3 to 1 partition

I have a 2nd hard drive installed on a Win 7 desktop running Home Premium. This drive came off a desktop with a failed motherboard and it's now installed on a new desktop. It was the originally the only hard drive on the failed PC. It has 3 partitions on it, an Acer recovery partition (hidden), a partition of what used to be the C drive and a D drive. These partitions are now the E and F drives on the new desktop.

I would like to just reformat it into 1 partition as the 2nd hard drive on my present desktop. The data on it that I need has been saved to an external drive so I'm not concerned about wiping it out.

What's the safest and best way to do this? I looked at Disk Management but don't see a way to do this. And obviously, I don't want to wipe out the current C drive.
    Ed

Thanks
    Disk management is the easiest way.

Fire it up again and look at the bottom part of the screen which gives a graphical layout of your drives/partitions.

When you are sure you can identify which drive is which right click on each of the partitions you want to delete and select delete. That should leave you with a full drive of unallocated space. Then right click again on the unallocated space and select create.

If you still feel nervous about doing this please post a screenshot of your disk management screen so that I or other members may help further.
    Last edited by Browni; 2011-10-25 at 00:31.

Thanks
    Disk Manager will do the job nicely as Browni points out. you can also ensure you have the right HDD by right clicking on the partition(s) in the lower pane
    and selecting "open".
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-10-25 at 02:02.

Thanks
    I like the 3rd party partitioning apps equally, in in some sases better than Disk Manager. Disk manager can handle partitions behind the OS partition (drive) but not in front of it. Partition Wizard and/or Easeus Partition Magic free will do both and much more. I have installed and used both with equal effectiveness.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. Believe I will use Disk Management. I'm comfortable I've got the right one identified. When I right click on a partition, the only delete option that shows is "delete volume". I'm assuming that's what I want to select. The small Acer recovery partition only shows "help" on a right click. What should I do with it, if anything?? Don't see any need to leave it on there.
    Ed

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might need one of the partition managers suggested by Ted to get rid of the recovery partition if it won't go quietly in disk management.

Thanks
    Yes, either of the 3rd party apps will easily get rid of this recovery partition. That's the reason I suggested them. The recovery partition is usually located ahead of the OS partition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again guys. Because of the recovery partition, I will go ahead and use Partition Wizard. Since it's late tonight, I'll just wait until tomorrow.
    Ed

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Used Partition Wizard this morning and everything worked fine. Thanks for the help.
    Ed

Thanks
    Glad it worked well for you. Thanks for posting back with your positive results.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    As Ted has said, I like the Easeus partition product and they also have another great free program= ToDo backup that also works great.