Thanks

How to Reinstall Windows Without Having to Reactivate

Hi Loungers,
    Read about it here:- http://www.howtogeek.com/75496/how-t...to-reactivate/
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to reinstalling Windows 7 as suggested by Langa in this link but encountered a problem:

Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall
    Posted on July 14, 2011 by Fred Langa in Top Story
    http://tinyurl.com/689ogbv

It procedure worked great until it came time to remove Win7 Service Pack 1.

After a lot of checking it appears Service Pack 1 can't be removed if it was installed on the computer when purchased.

Mine was not exactly installed when I purchased my computer; my compute came with Vista and at a later date I installed Win7 on the B:\ drive using a Windows 7 Upgrade Disk doing a dual boot with Vista on the C:\ drive. So I guess since the disk had the Service pack 1 on it when I installation Win7 it was pre installed.

I am hoping that there may be a trick to uninstalling the Service pack 1, and if any knows how it surely would be some one in the group that could show me how.

So I would appreciate any advise before I do anything.

Brian

Thanks
    Hi Brian,
    Look here to see if SP1 is installed.

RR.JPG

I have done this procedeure successfully but unsure of how it will perform on a dual booting set-up.
    If your pc shows it has SP1 help is available.

Thanks
    You might be a great candidate to use the Win 7 iso with SP1 already included. Download the correct iso file from Digital River, Burn the Image to Disk then use that DVD along with your original key and Fred's procedure.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwcv8f View Post
    I am trying to reinstalling Windows 7 as suggested by Langa in this link but encountered a problem:

Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall
    Posted on July 14, 2011 by Fred Langa in Top Story
    http://tinyurl.com/689ogbv

It procedure worked great until it came time to remove Win7 Service Pack 1.

After a lot of checking it appears Service Pack 1 can't be removed if it was installed on the computer when purchased.

Mine was not exactly installed when I purchased my computer; my compute came with Vista and at a later date I installed Win7 on the B:\ drive using a Windows 7 Upgrade Disk doing a dual boot with Vista on the C:\ drive. So I guess since the disk had the Service pack 1 on it when I installation Win7 it was pre installed.

I am hoping that there may be a trick to uninstalling the Service pack 1, and if any knows how it surely would be some one in the group that could show me how.

So I would appreciate any advise before I do anything.

Brian
    If SP-1 is integrated into the install DVD there is no way (and no need) to uninstall it. The only reason to uninstall it is if your installation media does not include SP-1.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Roadrunner, Ted Myers, & JoeP517,

Thanks so much for the reply.

This is my first posting and along with being what I call, only an average literate computer user I will probably have a little trouble understanding anything less than fairly simple solution.

Roadrunner, I don't think the dual boot is NOT causing any problem, and yes, I definitely have SP1 installed.

The System page displays:
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Service Pack 1
    Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) Quad CPU Q82oo @ 2.33GHz 2.34 GHz
    Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
    System Type 64-bit Operating System

Ted,
    I am not sure how I would use the "Download the correct iso file from Digital River", since the problem I have is that Service Pack 1 is installed and that is what is causing the process to stop. It says something like this: Windows is more recent, and can't proceed.

JoeP517,
    "The only reason to uninstall it is if your installation media does not include SP-1."

Since I have SP-1 and it balks at installing then it must be that the DVD doesn't contains SP-1
    It seems to be advising me that my current Windows Version (with SP-1) is a later Version that what is on the DVD (non-SP-1) and consequently cannot install an earlier version of Windows that is now on the system.
    Consequently, It seems to be requiring the removal of SP-1.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Thanks
    Brian,

Download your version from Ted's link, (it has SP1 added) then use it as Fred's article, without uninstalling SP1.

Thanks
    As RR states, if you download the iso file I linked to it is the complete Win 7 including SP1 so you will not have to uninstall SP1 prior to using Fred's method. That is the nice thing about this iso file. No need to uninstall SP1 when you use this iso file. Simply download the file, insert a blank DVD in your DVD burner, right click the iso file and choose Burn disk image. The iso will burn to the DVD and automatically create a bootable Win 7 DVD with SP1 included. Just ensure you choose the same version to download that your original key was for (i.e. if your original key was for home premium then your would use the Home Premium download)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Roadrunner & Ted Myers, Thanks for the confirmation of exactly what needs to be done. I have already downloaded the Digital River file and named it: Win7HomePremx64-SP1BootableV-X17-24209.iso and burned it to a DVD. Again I apologize for probably not being as conversant as the regular Lounge members. I feel it is important I know exactly what I am doing as I undertake this task to avoid causing additional problems. Consequently, I have a couple of more questions. As I follow Langa's procedure I will not expect any problems until I come to the step that asks, what type of installation do you want? This is where I will select Upgrade. Is this the point I should put the Digital River DVD in the drive and load it? Am I correct in thinking I will not use my original Win7 DVD? Instead when the request for the Prod. Key appears I will just input the 25 digit number, and proceed with the remainder of the procedure. Finally, The Digital River site mentions, "need to purchase a license key to activate Windows 7 after using for 30 days." Since I am using my Product Key am I correct in not expecting any cost? Thanks again I can't explain how much I appreciate the expert help! Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    No reason to purchase another key. You may use your existing key.

Joe

Thanks
    As Joe states use your original key with the new Digital River Win 7 DVD that includes SP1.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Brian
    I suggest using ImgBurn to put the file onto DVD/CD. Use a slow burn setting & Verify before using it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, Thanks for the tip about how to use ImgBurn. I think I am ready to reinstall Win7 using the Langa method! To summarize this is what I plan on doing: When asked for the type of installation. . . I will select Upgrade. Then I will load the DVD. . . and I will continue with the Langa process. Unless some one sees a problem or has any additional precautions I will plan on doing the reinstall in this manner. Thanks to all for the expert help Brian