New Lounger
    Thanks

Download pdf files (IE 4.0)

When I try to download a .pdf file attachment using my Hotmail account, the option to open or save to disk does not appear. Acrobat Reader begins to open and results in a message " files does not begin with % pdf"
    When I deleted the complete Adobe directory, the messages is " Plugin did not initialize".
    Before installing Adobe Acrobat Reader I was able to download and save files to disk.
    I have no trouble downloading .doc files.
    Can anyone help please?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Download pdf files (IE 4.0)

Hi
    You don't say what browser you're using, but there are three things to note :
    1. you need Adobe Acrobat (5.0 preferably) to be integrated with your browser. This will open *.pdf files on-line.
    2. you need to have Active X enabled (so presumably the web site would need to go into your Trusted Zone).
    So : remove AA completely and thoroughly, then re-install the 5 version (available on a variety of cover discs).
    3. *.doc files are not the same - they will open in MS Word, with which they should be associated.

Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, MerC. I'm using IE 4.0. I will try that. However, what if I only want to download and save to disk?
    Fitzalan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

HI
    Suggest you get hold of the freeware Meta Products Download Express (from my website - click the live part of my sig) - at #14b.) This gives the option you want.

btw on the Index page there are several information files downloadable as pdf or doc. You can use them to test out the success, or otherwise, of your course of action.

I am not at all sure that my advice will work with IE4. Suggest you upgrade to at least 5.5, preferably 6.0. These are both more secure anyway, and should be available on cover discs ( free) if you can't hack the download time.

Luck

Thanks

Sometimes right-clicking the link will allow you to save the file (Save Target As...).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello All,
    Thanks for your advice. Success at last !!! I have now got IE 6.0. Changed the Security setting to Enable Downloads. I think when Acrobat Reader was installed it must have disabled downloads.
    Also using right click to get the Save as Target option, and downloaded Download Express from MerC"s web site.
    Everything is fine now. Just wish the advice was available in IE Help.
    When I got IE 6.0 the cookies setting changed and I could not login in here. Had to reset to accept cookies!!
    Thanks again,
    Fitzalan