Star Lounger
    Thanks

upgrade to larger hard drive- any cavats, advice

my portable lenovo t61 laptop hard drive is getting full. i can buy from apricorn a program which will transfer programs and data from the smaller hard drive to the larger 500GB hard drive. Any advice so i get it right the first time?

also, i wonder if Windows 7 will allow this to happen? Will the fact i am switching from 89 gb to 500gb make trouble? Thanks for any advice and ideas and suggestions.

Thanks
    This was my experience with Windows XP: Upgrading laptop hard drive. Not sure whether Windows 7 is more restrictive.

Note: I actually had to repeat the process when that WD drive died on me. The second drive has worked out better.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenwjC View Post
    my portable lenovo t61 laptop hard drive is getting full. i can buy from apricorn a program which will transfer programs and data from the smaller hard drive to the larger 500GB hard drive. Any advice so i get it right the first time?
    Stephen,
    Hello... There are a few ways to do this... Here are two..

1. Use a software that can "clone " your present HD to a new larger HD ... I use Acronis 2010 V-7046 ( pay for) ..this release works with Windows "7" and XP, and Vista. There are a few Free programs that will do this as well ...or claim to . Macrium Reflect V-5. (Free) EASEUS Todo Backup.. and I'm sure more ... Just haven't used either of the last two to "Clone".

2. Use an Imaging Program (All of the Above) Macrium V-5. has some recovery disk problems on my OS's, Acronis and EASEUS work fine... Make an Image (store it somewhere other that your C: OS) 2nd internal HD or external HD, or flash drive ..etc. Then "Recover" the Image to the new HD using their "Recovery Boot Disk" Which you "burn" when installing their software....Just make sure that you set your BIOS to be able to Boot from a disk. Test the "Recovery Disk" after you "burn" it. Regards Fred

EASEUS Todo Backup Free EASEUS

Macrium Reflect Free Macrium
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-10-25 at 19:35.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks fred! i have acronis true image. so i can use that method.

will i have to make other adjustments since it is a different amount of gb? windows 7 adjustments?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks fred! i have acronis true image. so i can use that method.

will i have to make other adjustments since it is a different amount of gb? windows 7 adjustments?
    Stephen,
    Hello... No, Acronis can and will "adjust" to the new HD ..(Used on XP, Vista and "7") What version of "TI"are you using? As i have mentioned i use 2010 V-7046 I have some experience with the before.... V-11, 2009 ...but not the after versions.. 2011, 2012... Once i get a program to work with my OS's ..i never update past that.(well maybe) Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-10-25 at 21:06.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much Fred
    I have v13.0.0.6053. i have had ATI since the earlier versions.

i will do the backup in a week or so. i have to buy the hard drive first. I will probably buy it direct from Lenovo, it may cost more but i know they have great tech support. but then i will check out and compare prices. other than apricorn any other recommended manufacturers?

again much appreciated!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    other than apricorn any other recommended manufacturers?
    Stephen,
    Hello... I have always used "Hitachi Desk stars" ( the original Mfgr. that came with my HP PC) I use "Directron" and "New Egg" , Directron being my choice for and HD's or CD \ DVD RW's.. They are a good company .. not one problem ...Have purchased at least 4 Hitachi HD's and ASUS video card, and 2 ASUS CD \DVD RW's Stay away from HD Mfgr's that have some backup software or a "Proteced from Romulins" twaddle loaded with them. Glad that i could be of some help... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Stephen,
    Hello... I have always used "Hitachi Desk stars" ( the original Mfgr. that came with my HP PC) I use "Directron" and "New Egg" , Directron being my choice for and HD's or CD \ DVD RW's.. They are a good company .. not one problem ...Have purchased at least 4 Hitachi HD's and ASUS video card, and 2 ASUS CD \DVD RW's Stay away from HD Mfgr's that have some backup software or a "Proteced from Romulins" twaddle loaded with them. Glad that i could be of some help... Regards Fred
    Fred .
    I will definitly check out Directron. i will try to find out who the original mfgr of lenovo - good to know/

Thanks big time

s

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred:

finally, i transferred my data from 89gb hard drive to the new 300gb hard drive. went smooth as per your suggestion. only one ATI point of confusion. i transferred the data but somehow the computer only recognizes the 89gb size and not the actuall 300gb size.

any suggestions? thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    . i transferred the data but somehow the computer only recognizes the 89gb size and not the actuall 300gb size.

any suggestions?
    Stephan,
    Hello... Yes look in your "Disk Management". And you will probably see that the rest of your HD is "unallocated" .

1. If so Right click on the "Unallocated " bit and Format it NTFS ... When finished ...extend the 89GB bit to fill the whole HD ...If that is what you want ... Or re-size it and use it for DATA and personal "stuff".Post back if your unsure of exactly how to do this. At the very least make an Image of the 89GB bit now! (before you try to re-size) Just to be on the safe side, in case things don't go as planned with the "re-sizing" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

StephenwjC (2011-11-22)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hi fred:
    a friend came over and helped.

first he used Linux Mint to expand the disc. it went real smooth and it is in ntfs format.

i just finished with the drive image backup.

i will now use the Win7 SP1 install disk and install.

after that is completed i will download windows updates. and that should do it.

i will then do another drive image backup and save it in two different external hard drives.

==
    i had a 89 gb hard drive. end up purchasing a 320 gb hard drive from a company called "4allmemory.com". it was an "open package"- meaning the hard drive packet was open. the company evaluated and check it out and then sold it to me for $44. if it was new it would be much much higher price ($150?- i forgot).

so that is about it. thanks fred for all your support