Lounger
    Thanks

Windows search not working from start

If if type something in the search box on the windows start menu, "backup" for example, the search window opens and displays "Searching..." at the top but never finishes. This used to work fine and I don't know when it quit.
    If I search in Windows Explorer it will find a backup and restore shortcut that will get me to the backup window.

Any ideas how to get search to work again from the start menu?

Thanks
    See if the search troubleshooter helps. Try typing search in the start orb search box and click on Find and fix problems with windows search.

Jerry

Thanks
    Here is a link that,Jerry refers to;http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...troubleshooter
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried that before posting my question.

Thanks
    Ensure that the search service is active and running. Type "services.msc" into the run box and look for it amongst the list of services named "Windows Search".

If you should find it is not listed among the services you will need to go into the control panel's "Programs and Features" section. Go to "Turn Windows features on or off".
    If Windows search doesn't show up in the service section then that means at some point it was removed/uninstalled from the "Turn Windows features on or off" section.
    Windows Search and Indexing are both installed and active by default in Windows 7.
    If you find it is present and are still unable to get it to work then uncheck "Windows Search", boot, then go back into "Turn Windows features on or off" and re-enable Windows search by checking it.

Repeat the above with indexing. Search & indexing are services that can be installed and uninstalled in the "Turn Windows features on or off" section.

You can also tweak the indexing option in the below link;
    Windows 7 File Search Indexing Options

Disable Search Indexing In Windows 7
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-10-27 at 12:47.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Nothing has worked so far.

Microsoft Answers suggests creating a new user account and transferring all my settings to the new account. That may be the next step.