New Lounger
    Thanks

Thunderbird/Eudora OSE problem

I just got a Win 7 64bit computer on which I wanted to install two email programs. Two people use the box, one with 2 email addresses and myself with 5. My old XP machine had Outlook Express used by one of us and Eudora OSE by the other (me).

I set up Eudora OSE on the new machine as well as Windows Live Mail. A week of Live Mail proved intolerable for either of us, so I installed Thunderbird. Problem solved! Or so I thought...

I imported the appropriate account settings and Contacts to Thunderbird and went to bed. When I got up, all five of my email accounts had been deleted from Eudora OSE, and the other two accounts migrated into it. Now when I open either Eudora OSE or Thunderbird I see the same 2 accounts and only those accounts. Is there any way to effectively stop Thunderbird from hijacking Eudora's settings?

(I should point out that there is only one Windows logon to the new box. I wanted the computer to start right up, so I didn't set a password. I want to keep it that way.)

Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you've had no replies, here are some fuzzy clues to a solution (I've forgotten the details and don't have time to look them up right now).

Thunderbird (and Eudora OSE) both store the mail, the folder structure, and the account info in a "profile". You can have multiple profiles, and there is a way of telling your Thunderbird (and/or Eudora OSE) which profile to use. Or a single instance of either program can be set to ask you which profile to use each time it starts.

It sound like, by default you have both programs pointed to the same profile. If you Google on Thunderbird "multiple profiles" or "move profile" or "multiple users", you'll find lots of information on setting up and using separate profiles. All of this applies to Eudora OSE as well as vanilla Thunderbird.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidD For This Useful Post:

vaneyck (2011-11-18)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I ended up installing my old pre-OSE Eudora, which works just fine on Win 7-64, to my mild surprise. But your suggestion sounds like a good one, and I may try it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm thinking of getting 64bit Win7 too, and I was hoping that the old Eudora (7.1.09) would work, so this thread is encouraging.
    I'd also install Thunderbird, which I can use for some HTML (I keep Eudora from using "microsoft's viewer", for better security),
    and for unicode (e.g., Hebrew or Arabic). If anyone has more comments on Eudora in Win7, my ears are up. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are using two different e-mail programs to check mail for the same account and are using the POP3 protocol, you will need to check the box to leave the message on the server. Otherwise, the first e-mail account will download the new messages and delete them from the mail server. Thus these new messages will not be available to the second e-mail program.

When setting up Thunderbird to import messages from another e-mail program, there is a setting to tell Thunderbird to either delete the messages from the other program or leave them alone.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yerubal View Post
    I'm thinking of getting 64bit Win7 too, and I was hoping that the old Eudora (7.1.09) would work, so this thread is encouraging.
    I'd also install Thunderbird, which I can use for some HTML (I keep Eudora from using "microsoft's viewer", for better security),
    and for unicode (e.g., Hebrew or Arabic). If anyone has more comments on Eudora in Win7, my ears are up. Thanks.
    The thread's a bit old now, but as you may have discovered, Eudora 7.1 works fine on Win 7 64. I have been ussing it for a year without a single hitch. The only problem with Eudora is its inability to handle CSS. If anyone out there has an add-on....

New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation

Unfortunately I don't have an add-in for the CSS issue, it doesn't cause me a problem. What does agitate me is how long Eudora OSE has languished, it still is not as capable as Eudora 7.1 was in many respects. Mozilla is cranking out new versions of FireFox monthly but OSE hasn't moved from 1.0 in 2 years?

I am glad to hear that 7.1 works in Windows 7, I am about to migrate to a new primary work machine. My old machine was running XP & OSE, my bad for actually thinking that development would get OSE up to where Eudora 7.1 was previously. I had been a paying customer for Eudora when Qualcomm owned it, I would instantly pony up again if OSE would get on with getting all its features up to at least what 7.1 had.

Jon
    99 PC's & counting
    99 PC's and counting - I love my job!

Thanks
    I've been following the Eudora Forum at http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/index.php for the past year. From what I've been able to learn, there don't seem to be any plans to upgrade Eudora OSE. It is simply an old outdated version of Thunderbird with a Eudora interface. If you like Thunderbird, use the current version. If you prefer the real Eudora, stick with 7.1 until it dies. The latter is what I plan to do.

Thanks
    I too have used Eudora for years, and was surprised to see that it works very well on my new Win7 64 computer. I tried Thunderbird, Eudora OSE and ended up back with Eudora 7.1. But I have a continuing problem I've never been able to figure out. When I forward emails, it loses all formatting and makes everything plain text. I've tried many options and have yet to find the answer.