3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Has anyone converted their computer case USB2 receptacles to USB3?

I don't see this as being hard to do. The USB receptacles regardless of speed have to be standard as far a size and the way they attach and it should be just a matter of finding one that mounts the same way as the existing ones.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You mean front built in ones? Maybe, I haven't seen USB3 mobo pin outs yet but they probably exist by now; probably be a whole lot less hassle to get a 3.5 inch mount with them built in and use one of the 3.5 inch bays instead of trying to swap out USB 2 for USB 3 ports.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    It's not an issue with receptacles alone as the controlers are different. The best way to get USB 3 on an existing computer would be to buy an add on card.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-10-27 at 10:20.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes that's the cheapest and most effective way, I have a couple cards at work already, I should have mentioned that having the mobo mounts for USB3 most likely meant a new mobo...other than having a short USB 3 extender cable to go from back to the front mounts from a 1xPCIe card.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you know why they aren't making PCIe cards that have the same amount of USB3 headers as they do USB2?

Thanks
    They probably wouldn't be able to advertise the full USB 3 speeds beyond a certain amount, especially on a 1x PCIe.
    ...that's a guess on my part.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm pretty sure that's correct, the bandwidth for the PCIe bus, while large and very fast, cannot handle too many USB3 devices without degrading performance. USB2 can be stacked all day on a PCIe bus and not consume all the bandwidth.
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-10-27 at 18:11.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That being the case what happens if I set up the 2 front case USB ports to Siamese off of one USB3 header on either the card of the MB?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it depends on actual demand you are thinking of for the ports, only thing I can think of that would probably quickly saturate a USB3 port/controller bus is multiple SATA III SSDs. Mechanical drives wouldn't and I don't know what else would be as fast or faster or even what else would benefit from USB 3 at this point.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB3 involves more than a connector/cabling change

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    It's not an issue with receptacles alone as the controlers are different. The best way to get USB 3 on an existing computer would be to buy an add on card.
    This is correct. My motherboard has USB3 and USB2 ports. USB2 devices like external HD's have power "bricks" and AC needs. USB3 devices have no power packs and depend on power delivered through the USB3 port and matching cable. USB3 ports and cables have a blue inner tab, otherwise they look the same. An external USB3 HD can be plugged into a USB2 port, but it will run at USB2 speeds. So, the add-on card, or a new MB is the only way to obtain USB3 speeds.