New Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstall starter without uninstalling Office Pro

I installed MS Office Pro 2010 on a Win 7 Pro machine that has Office starter preloaded on it. If I uninstall starter will it interfere with Office Pro or would I need to reinstall it? Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    I can't say for sure, having never done that, but I would say there is a possibility that you may need to reinstall or repair the Pro version.

Have you looked at Programs folder? Are there different folders for Starter and Pro? I would guess not...

Thanks
    I have also never encountered this personally, but would guess similar conclusions as Rui. Generally 2 different versions of Office can co-exist on the same PC, i.e. Office 2003 with Office 2007 or Office 2010. All apps except Outlook can co-exist. Only one version of Outlook can be installed.

In your case however I believe you are discussing different editions of the same version of Windows. This could very well break something in the Pro edition if you uninstall the starter edition. The procedure I would follow is as follows:

Uninstall Office 2010 Pro completely.

Uninstall Office Starter.

Reinstall Office 2010 Pro.

This will take a while to accomplish, but far less time than trying to T/S intermittent problems caused by uninstall problems. Plus it will give you a pristeen installation of Office 2010 Pro.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstall starter without uninstalling Office Pro

Thanks for the replies. The issue is that I downloaded Office Pro online and there may be an issue reloading it. I have checked the program folder and there is only one folder for all of the versions all (I also have an older version of office suite installed). The only issue is my system keeps wanting to update starter. I have plenty of room on the disc. Just trying to stay ahead of the housekeeping. I will check to see if I can reload it from the vendor site.

Thanks again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbernardon View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The issue is that I downloaded Office Pro online and there may be an issue reloading it. I have checked the program folder and there is only one folder for all of the versions all (I also have an older version of office suite installed). The only issue is my system keeps wanting to update starter. I have plenty of room on the disc. Just trying to stay ahead of the housekeeping. I will check to see if I can reload it from the vendor site.

Thanks again.
    You should have the results of the download available, no? An executable or an ISO file? If not, maybe you can download it again and try to keep the download results as a safeguard for the future.
    Alternatively, you most likely can download the trial version from Microsoft and use your key with it. If activation is an issue a call to Microsoft should solve it.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-10-27 at 09:04. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Whenever you download an app you have the ability to Run, Save or Save As. Free apps are eassy, just run. Paid apps that there might ever be a chance to need to reinstall, use Save As and save it where you can find it.

You should be able to download the file again very easily. When you first acquired Office 2010 Pro, you must have been supplied a key. This key will work again, even if you must download the file again. if you have any problems, a simple call to MS will solve it. MS is generally very accomodating for these type problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, I located the download key and the info I need to reload if necessary.