New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Virtual Mode OR VirtualBox, please??

Hi All, Would appreciate opinions please. I have eventually moved up to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit from XP. My new machine has XP Virtual mode setup already. I have been using VirtualBox on my old XP machine just for testing new programs/drivers etc. Is XP Virtual Mode as good as or better than VirtualBox? Would I be wasting resources (memory/drive space etc) if I install VirtualBox. At the moment my only issue is that my trusty old Epson printer driver will not install on Win7. As soon as I insert the driver cd, a message says it's not valid. There is no update as the printer was discontinued quite some time ago - it's old but still works like new. (Stylus Photo 870). Thought if I install the driver in a VirtualBox XP setup that might work, but just seems a heavyweight way around the issue!
    Thanks for any advice re; Virtual Mode / VirtualBox.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfishstalker View Post
    Virtual Mode / VirtualBox.
    Neither, I would try this first instead of having a virtual PC running as print server.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but that link goes to a CX6600 not an old 870photo! Hadnt been able to find any 870/Win 7 support before I posted this enquiry.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    This page states Windows 7 includes the driver.

Weirdly, though, there seems to be a driver here: http://driverscollection.com/?H=Styl...n&SS=Windows 7. Not sure how reliable this is. If you try this one, be sure just to download the driver and not their driver scanning software.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for that, I'll give it a try.
    Just like to canvas opinion on the Virtual Mode/ VirtualBox question now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I see no issues with having Virtual Box installed, even with XP Mode installed as well. I have both. The only issue with Virtual Box is that you will need a licence for VM OSes you use, while XP Mode includes a XP license.
    To try Windows 8, I could only do it with Virtual Box, so it can be advantageous to have both.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To me XP Mode is a little messy, leaves files in more than one disparate directory, and Virtual Box needs a licensed OS. So I use VMWare Player, which can Import an XP Mode installation, which I do. Then all the VM files are in one directory, which makes it easy to backup AND transport to another system, no extra license required. And it doesn't hurt that VMWare Player have a bit more capability than either VirtualBox or Virtual PC, especially if you're looking for enhanced graphics support.

So for me its C: none of the above.

Thanks
    Any opinion on this will be worth less than you pay for it until there is more information about how you will use them.
    XP Mode will work best for some apps, not so much for others.
    Not much help am I? Sorry.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(