Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mingled outline numbering in Word 2007

Here's what I'd like to do. I can't think of a way to make Word do it. Perhaps I'm doomed to SEQNUM fields, but the authors for whom I am creating the template may not be able to handle that. They can barely wrap their fists around using styles instead of direct formatting.

We are doing requirements lists. Business requirements can come in two levels: 1 and 1.1. Functional requirements attach to business requirements, and we want to number them so they're tied to the business requirements.

It would look like this:

B 1.0 Big Main Business Requirement
    F 1.1 Functional requirement for Big Main Business Requirement
    F 1.2 Functional requirement for Big Main Business Requirement
    B. 1.1 Second-level business requirement that is detail for B 1.0
    F 1.1.1 A function req tied to B 1.1
    F 1.1.2 Another functional req tied to B 1.1
    B 2.0 Second Big main Business Requirement
    F 2.1 Functional requirement for BMBR 2.0
    F 2.2 Another functional requirement for BMBR 2.0
    B2.1 Sub business requirement that is detail for the second big one
    ...and so on.

I can try convincing the authors that functional requirements only make sense at the lowest level of a business requirement hierarchy, or I can try to make styles that implement the numbering scheme they want. Any ideas on how to do the second?

I'm familiar with the Shauna Kelly info on how to make the list styles and the related document styles, but can't think of a way to use styles to do this.

Thanks,

Jessica

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Never mind, I figured it out

You know what they tell programmers about explaining the problem to someone helping you find the solution?

Well, I took a look at the multilevel list numbering definition stuff, and of course it can be done.

I forgot that you can restart a numering sequence after any level, and you can show preliminary numbers from any prior level. There's nothing to force the style levels to correspond directly to a one-dimensional hierarchy, and you can have two styles restart after the same level.

Problem solved. The attachment shows the dialog box involved indicating the various nominal levels and a sample showing the numbering restarting at a level other than the one nominally up one in the hierarchy.

Whew.
    Attached Images Attached Images