Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

File Association Problem

My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

I use the latest version of Nero (Nero 11) and have a strange problem with a video compilation I created with Nero Video. If I open Nero Video and then choose open saved video project and navigate to where the compilation was saved the compilation opens successfully in the Nero Video program. However, if I double click the file Nero Express opens and that part of the Nero suite doesn't support the type of file concerned. The file extension is .nvc, and I went to "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" and found that the default program for .nvc files is indeed shown as Nero Express. I tried to change this,but when I browsed to the Nero Video .exe file and clicked open Nero Video was not added to the open with list, so I was unable to change the default.

I have reported this to Nero Support but am not holding my breath for an answer, because from past experience I have little faith in them. Almost certainly they will ask me to submit support files and other info and at the end of the day will probably suggest uninstalling/reinstalling the whole Nero Suite, which is a very time consuming operation.

I realise this is not a big problem as I can open the file with Nero Video, but if anyone can tell me how to reset the file association in some other way than the normal method I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I am pleased to say I finally solved the problem (with no help from Nero Support) by completely uninstalling Nero with Revo Uninstaller free version, which found thousands of registry entries (the Nero uninstaller is pretty useless), and even then there were entries left behind which I deleted manually, and then reinstalling, keeping my antivirus program switched off during the uninstall/reinstall.Once this was done the file associations were correct.

Regards,Roy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to royw For This Useful Post:

Just Plain Fred (2011-11-07)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I am pleased to say I finally solved the problem the Nero uninstaller is pretty useless, and even then there were entries left behind which I deleted manually, and then reinstalling, keeping my antivirus program switched off during the uninstall/reinstall.Once this was done the file associations were correct.
    Roy,
    Thanks for posting your results... There may not be many who use Nero, and have that same problem...But...The procedure of how to use a "Un installer" (Revo) can clear\ delete "Registry entries" Brings home the point ..Some software un-installers... just don't. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One should almost always be able to associate a data file with any application by right clicking on the file and choosing Open with...Choose program..., then find that program; which can sometimes be the difficult part if its not clearly labeled or logically located.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred and Infinicore,

Thanks Fred.

Infinicore,thanks but that is what I tried first,as mentioned in my original post.

Regards,Roy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh I see that what you meant by open with list, hmmm, I've never had it fail in XP or Win7 to date so I don't know what the problem was then, I can even switch the default to something it wouldn't open in a hundred years for personal amusement at my friend's expense.