Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

It's hard to leave XP — Is it just me or what?

I find myself still using XP (a lot more) than Win7.

I guess any OS is a software development methodology that encompasses the entire lifecycle of a project but the $$$ are still march's on.

I kind of know Win7 will start rubbing on me!!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I seldom use XP any more. Only when I have to because of the machine I'm using. It looks and feels very dated to me now.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    I find myself still using XP (a lot more) than Win7.

I guess any OS is a software development methodology that encompasses the entire lifecycle of a project but the $$$ are still march's on.

I kind of know Win7 will start rubbing on me!!!!
    "Jagster"
    Hello....I have just recently ( month or so ) installed XP-Pro ..As i have only started with "home PC's" with "Vista".. Just wanted to see what all the fuss was about..So now i multi-boot XP-Pro, Vista, and "7"and LINUX things...(mix of 32 and 64 bit OS's)... When comparing them on the same PC,with most all the same software.. I have reached the following conclusions....

1. With some "Tweaks " you can make them all look alike...

2.They all do the same basic function (running the same programs ) Internet "stuff" etc.

3. XP-Pro is the slowest booting up followed by Vista and "7" up in like an "eye blink" ( 32 bit OS's for comparison )

4. Running wise ...XP-Pro is "wicked fast" .. ( clicking on stuff observation).. It's so small backups take longer to input, than to finish (hyperbole) ....Like about half the size of the rest...

5. With a good security strategy applied to all.... NIS 2012 and Malwarebytes PRO...I'm not worried one bit staying with XP-Pro...Think that MS wants to just "Dump" XP so they can get you to switch to a new and improved OS.. As for the rest ...Just "Eye Candy".. Who really cares about "Memory Management" or whatever reason they give you "Why you should switch".. Who knows maybe there correct ... when i E mail my "Aunt Betty" my latest recipe.... i should be concerned about memory management Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I'm with Joe - working on XP is like going back in time. It feels dated and outdated. Even Vista looks a bit weird.

Thanks
    Agreed. As I wrote in another thread, I have just streamlined and stripped down my old Dell XP machine so that I can use it strictly for things that don't run on Win7. Couldn't believe how 'clunky' it seemed. Like Jagworld, I was a big hold-out to coming in to the Win7 scene..... well, I always have been reluctant to leave the security of a comfortable OS, but almost 2 years ago I bought a laptop with Win 7 and found that I liked it. Now this will probably cause a lot of hootin' and hollerin' but the simplicity of operation reminded me of Win 3.1. Then I bought my husband a Win7 laptop for Christmas and finally this past January the 6 year old Dell was getting crankier and crankier so I bought a new desktop with win7. Very happy with it. I DO not want to even think about Win8, [Don't like what I have seen of the screens].

BJ

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are certain things W7 does better and certain things XP Pro does better, but by far and large, if we were looking at the DNA matches, like comparing Chimpanzees and Humans, they're almost identical; even more so with third party support, which neither can do without, unless one is willing to rely solely on the inferior performance (again, compared to third party offerings) of many of the built in improvements (DVD burning, disk/partition management, security, etc.).

Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott were discussing it a bit on the last WW podcast; Paul sighed very deeply and said people just need to move on! Mary said something to the effect that Microsoft outdid themselves and created something that was too successful, so successful that they were having a heck of a time killing it.

Both statements ring true for me, especially the later, and I think Paul just doesn't have the patience required to see his exasperation through to fruition. Windows 98, Win2k (even though it may have been every bit as good or better than XP in the day) is not really usable anymore...the day will come when XP is in a similar boat...granted it might not be for another half decade or so but its coming.
    In the meantime, I'm firmly in the OPs camp, use both all the time but given the choice I'd wave 7 on down the road, its a little too monolithic for me (I have many systems of both flavors running) and doesn't have the same intuitive navigation that I've become so accustomed to in XP...and if that hasn't rubbed off on me in two years of use...doesn't seem likely it will.

A big part of this is Microsoft's fault too...they didn't let Win7 fly her full colors (potential) by restricting function in certain uses. For instance I use Windows a TON in remote desktop situations....how sick do you think I am of staring at the same basic blue theme of W7 in remote for two years now...and no peek either; restricted restricted restricted in W7...funny thing is, with third party programs, I have peek in XP and of course themes are not stripped in remote desktop either.

So that's my final point....don't shoot yourself in the foot Microsoft, might get somewhere a bit quicker if you don't do that.
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-10-28 at 10:48.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I'm with Joe - working on XP is like going back in time. It feels dated and outdated. Even Vista looks a bit weird.
    Hi rui,
    Like i said "Eye Candy"..... Fact is you can make XP look like Vista or "7"... Mix and Match
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I don't think I'll ever find myself with a use for XP anymore. 64 bit computing is where it's at.
    What a huge difference going from windows 7 back to XP. XP is just flat no matter what you do to spruce it up, it just doesn't measure up anymore.
    To me, dumping programs that only worked in XP is a total non issue.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-10-28 at 21:20.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Fred,

No amount of plastic surgery can make an old thing younger. It may look younger on first sight, but beyond that surface layer, the old age will show no matter what.

Regards

Rui

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Instead of speaking anthropomorphically, or in vague pronouncements, maybe a few examples of things you need to accomplish, that you can only accomplish or draw a distinct advantage in UI in using W7, and that which a third party application/utility is not equally or more adept at accomplishing, would speak to reason.
    Otherwise it just sounds like harummph harumpphhh harummphh! XP harumppffff, harummpffff!

I have two to start, rename/tab function in W7 helps my productivity, just a little, but a distinct advantage over XP. However, whole line file selection in W7 slows me down as much or more, not nearly as convenient as field selection in XP for someone who processes many files every day because in W7, open file windows are almost never wide enough to multi-select with just a quick mouse swipe, and be especially careful using drag and drop cuz its easy to put stuff inside a folder in the folder you intend it for, and lose it or double up cuz one wonders why it didn't copy over (when it actually did), or have an executable attempt to execute the data because the drop was not quite to free space. XP don't have to worry about that, just don't drop on the name field and everything is copacetic.

So tell me why whole line selection is better; one has to scroll vertically to locate a file right? So its really inconvenient to have to scroll in the name field to make a selection instantly when found or what's the theory? And how do you handle multiple contiguous file selection? Check boxes, non-details view, hold control or shift key down? Hopefully not because all of those methods are not as efficient or informational as the XP method I've described which is not available in W7.

I've already described how short I feel W7 falls in the remote desktop department so give me some good arguments for whole line selection...Ok...go!!...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    or in vague pronouncements, maybe a few examples of things you need to accomplish, that you can only accomplish or draw a distinct advantage in UI in using W7, and that which a third party application/utility is not equally or .
    Otherwise it just sounds like harummph harumpphhh harummphh! XP harumppffff, harummpffff!

.Ok...go!!...
    "Ifc",
    Hello.. OK ..Here's my ....XP"harummphh"
    For the average person ..(like me) Who only run one OS at a time ...Who also only use their PC for
    1. E-Mail
    2. Internet Research (various topics)
    3. On line purchasing, Banking, etc.
    4. Running our favorite programs.... your choice.

It does not matter what OS you run with ...Other than you like some particular OS "Eye candy" ..XP, Vista , "7" , Linux...
    What...... does "7" run any "Normal Human" ( non Geek) program any better than XP?... Answer NO! unless you can differentiate uSec's from mSec's. Please us normal "folk" don't run space shuttle calculations.... Regards Fred
    PS: Final thought... The only good (real) reason for an average person to upgrade from XP... is that you want to.
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Fred,

You should not presume everybody is like you...

Now, replying to the challenge, here goes.

The killer feature in 7 for me is resource usage:
    - 7 really is the first Windows 64 bit version that can be used and is compatible with even older hardware;
    - 64 bit means that you can go over that 4 GB RAM limit, which is very good for someone like me, that tipically have:
    - one webserver running several development sites
    - a SQL Server database server
    - a MySQL database server
    - Visual Studio 2010 open with some web or windows app
    - Windows Media or other music streaming app;
    - Internet Explorer with several tabs open (this includes WSL and some other places I administer);
    - 7 is much more effective running on multicore CPUs, which means that this usage pattern is handle much better than it would be on XP.

- UI features I really like and are helpful in 7:
    - pinned apps - my most frequent apps are there, which means I access them much faster than having to go through the start menu;
    - search feature from the Windows Orb
    - Jump lists from the Start menu
    - For apps in the Start menu, it's great to start them while opening a file, a project, or ftpying to a recently used site;
    - Taskbar previews: great to jump to the proper app window, be it in IE, Word, Powerpoint or Excel (for example);
    - In Windows Explorer (and file choosing dialogs), I really like the possibility to check select one or more files.

These are probably the ones I like and use most of the time.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post

You should not presume everybody is like you...
    rui,
    Hello... Neither should you presume that everyone is like you either .... I would be willing to wager that there are millions like me and two of you (Infiicore and you) Sorry I'm never going to agree ...also have two 64 bit OS's ....No difference for us "unwashed" in running the day to day.... sending my "potato salad recipe's" to my Aunt Betty. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    One of the biggest draws to XP, and drawback to 7 is the fact that you can still do an image backup to a single DVD.
    When it comes to memory management Windows 7 is superior to XP, add 64 bit computing and you have a whole new life on graphics
    related computing.
    Windows 7 also refines taking advantage of more CPU cores and threads than does Windows XP's antiquated os code.

One of the biggest things you hear people drizzle and whine about between XP and 7 is supposedly user interface related issues.
    Windows explorer as an example does basically the same thing aside from a few minor inconveniences.
    Get over it, it's still very functional and it's a totally minor issue.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not a bad list, I do take issue with again trying to minimize U.I. shortcomings because while correct that they are relatively minor inconveniences, its day after day after day 24/7/365 that they are minor inconveniences....meanwhile I have both 64bitW7 and XP Pro running on 4 gig 4 and 6 core systems and with 12-15 applications and windows open, cannot tell a bit of difference in memory management. It probably is superior, but how would I notice...point is, its not affecting me in the slightest if it is inferior.

For ruirib, I like your list, shows how you use W7 and the very reason there is even a discussion, there are many ways to get the same task accomplished in Windows. I didn't even think of the excellent position of the search feature because I'm lucky if I've used it 6 times in 2 years and I'm always moving forward through a mountainous stack of data so jumplists aren't terribly effective for me except where remote desktop is concerned...I liked that so much in W7 that I added a toolbar of remote desktops to the XP taskbar. I also don't really care for pinned apps in among the running apps so I pin them to the start menu instead or put the ones I use all the time in quick launch. Also I can't stand check box selection, when I find the files I want, possibly among hundreds to look through, I don't want to have to stop and start checking each one, I want one quick mouse sweep gesture and then I'll use the ctrl key/hover for any that are not contiguous after that, something that is difficult to do in W7 with whole line selection without pulling the window out wider to begin with.

I agree completely with taskbar previews...unfortunately for me, they don't work in remote desktop (unless the server is Ultimate and the client is W7....now accepting donations to upgrade the fleet!), which still wouldn't be a problem as the labels would be enough, EXCEPT, I open different source folders of images with FastStone and XnView (which also allows multiple instances), and I cannot remember which app I have open on which source folder as I move back and forth between two image editors. So the preview windows show XnView, XnView and FastStone; no images, really frustrating, but with a little 3rd party app for XP, I do have taskbar preview; not clickable but all I need is the visual clue to folder identity; so this is a case where a supposed feature of W7 is disabled and useless but can be added to XP and is not disabled.

So, I completely respect your list and how you've made W7 work excellently for you, and I hope I've demonstrated how for someone else, the W7 interface can come up quite lacking and not as responsive as XP modifications. Its not like I sit here and try to dream up ideas on how to show W7 in a bad light, these things just come up for me all the time...if I could make W7 work for me exclusively, I certainly would because it does have a sense of modernity that XP does not have (64 bit for the future for example), and finally, I don't base anything on emotional responses (just ask any of my former girlfriends!).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast