Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Media Player not working right

So, all of a sudden, WMP11 won't work. Associations are still good, but if I try to start Media Player, either by starting the program, or clicking an associated file type, I get the spinny-cursor, then nothing.

I can only start WMP if I Run As Administrator - which is inconvenient, messy and frustrating.

I can't find an installation package to download from MS, and I can't find any way to fix Media Player. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Check the security settings for wmplayer.exe for all users. It should be set to read and execute only.
    Do you have a system restore point prior to the problem occurring? If so, run system restore.
    You can also try running sfc /scannow from an elevated prompt.
    If that doesn't work try a non destructive reinstall.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by clarknovak View Post
    all of a sudden, WMP11 won't work.
    I can only start WMP if I Run As Administrator - which is inconvenient, messy and frustrating.
    clark,
    Hello.. Find media player icon and right click on it and choose "Properties">Security>Advanced>Owner... Set yourself as "Owner" Apply and "OK" out. Now back on the "Properties Screen" click on whoever you set as owner and give "Full Control" (Click Edit) Sometimes the check boxes appear "Grayed out" ...but you can still "Check" them...Then Apply and OK ...You should then be good to go... Regards fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help, guys. Unfortunately, neither option worked

I also found the WMP Setup file in the WMP directory, and tried to execute it -hoping it would initiate a reinstall - but the installer told me I had a newer version installed and the installer could not be used to repair.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help, guys. Unfortunately, neither option worked

I also found the WMP Setup file in the WMP directory, and tried to execute it -hoping it would initiate a reinstall - but the installer told me I had a newer version installed and the installer could not be used to repair.
    clark,
    Hello... you stated that you can run WMP as an administrator...You need to change the ownership to a "user" ( not Administrator) and give yourself "Full Control" Can you post a screen shot of WMP Properties? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You bet, Fred.

01 Nov. 02 17.19.png02 Nov. 02 17.19.png

These are properties of the wmplayer.exe file found in C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\ . As the screenshots show, I (Clark) have full control, and am the Owner of the file.

Did I mention I am running 64-bit Vista?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

These are properties of the wmplayer.exe file found in C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\ . As the screenshots show, I (Clark) have full control, and am the Owner of the file.
    Clark,
    Hello.. Thanks... sure looks OK.. Have you looked at the properties of the "WMP" Folder? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

WoodyMc (2011-12-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I have looked at the Windows Media Player folder and made sure I am the owner and given full control:
    01 Nov. 09 08.51.png02 Nov. 09 08.51.png

Still no joy!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi clark,
    Just another thought... If you go to the WMP.exe icon in the WMP folder and right click properties.... See screenshot and look at the check box run as "Administrator" is it checked ? Regards Fred

PS: also look at the "Button" below "Change settings for all users"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, it isn't checked:

03 Nov. 09 15.35.png

Thank you again for your help. Maddening, this is!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Clark,
    Try and check the "Privilege Level" check box "Run this program as an Administrator", Then click apply...Do the same for "Show settings for all users" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't do it - the box is grayed and the dialog says "Compatibility modes cannot be set on this program because it is part of this version of Windows."

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't do it - the box is grayed and the dialog says "Compatibility modes cannot be set on this program because it is part of this version of Windows."
    Clark,
    Hello....Yes you are correct... (sorry)...I just tried that too ... Noticing one strange thing ...I set "Permissions " for the WMP.exe in the Windows media player folder.. and gave myself and Administrator, Everyone, full control as well as set myself as Owner...When then checking the WMP "Properties" in the Windows Start Button> All Programs> WMP Icon>Properties... the permissions were as they were originally... System was the owner and had the "full control". Don't know why, or have any idea why that is so???You would think that once you set one they would all fall in line the same. Did you set that icons properties? ( the one in the start Menu >All Programs) or just the one in the WMP folder (WMP.exe) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

I have been setting the permissions for wmplayer.exe itself (the target file), not for the Start menu shortcut. I've also been trying to invoke wmplayer.exe directly, not through the shortcut (and failing miserably!).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, here's something interesting: I installed TreeSize to do some disk management, and when I run it in Administrator mode and click on an MP3, Media Player starts right up, just like it should. When I click on the same file in Windows Explorer, nothing happens.

Is it possible that my user account, even though Vista says it's an Administrator, really isn't?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast