3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Grouping Objects & Pictures in Word 2010

I just started working with 2010, and I am not being very successful at grouping. Some times it works, but most of the time it does not.

The difference I see in 2010 is the use of the Ctrl key rather than the Shift key. I have searched on the Internet for instructions, and what I got does not always work. What is the trick?

Jan Toles
    Help Desk Analyst
    Phoenix, AZ

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This has come up here a couple of times before, and if memory serves this is a change in behavior that started with Word 2007. You may need to put the objects onto a drawing canvas, in order to be able to group them.

Gary

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Although before today I've only used it for grouping image and text boxes, Crl+click works. (It did not work in W2007.)

Press Ctrl while clicking each object you want to group.
    Then release Ctrl and right click in the same general area and choose Group.

I just tried to group several shapes, and that works too.

Pam

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tried this and it did not help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes it works for me, but most of the time it does not. If I knew how to attach a document, I would show you what I am working on. I use the Snipping Tool to get the picture I need, and then I add a rectangle shape to it. I want to group the two things together.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is it possible that you are trying to group inline shapes with floating shapes? You need to have the graphics all floating before trying to group them.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jantoles View Post
    If I knew how to attach a document, I would show you what I am working on.
    After you click the "Go Advanced" button, some additional options appear below the message compose area, including a "Manage Attachments" button that lets you upload files.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Is it possible that you are trying to group inline shapes with floating shapes? You need to have the graphics all floating before trying to group them.
    Good point, Andrew. I didn't think to mention that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Another reason why you might not be able to group floating shapes is that there could be two different types of floating images in your document.

If I use Word 2010 on a docx/docm document originally created in Word 2007 then I see the document is opened in 'Compatibility Mode'. Now in this mode I might see floating graphics that when I click on them show selection handles in either white or grey. In addition to this difference, when I right click and choose Format Picture, I see a different dialog for these images (although both variants are named Format Picture). There is another odd behaviour here in that it appears to be impossible to select objects with mixed selection handles. I can select multiple shapes with white handles or multiple shapes with grey handles but not a mixture. When I convert the document to remove the 'compatibility mode' then all the shapes get the 2010 format (with white handles) and I can then select them at the same time.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia