Thread: Thread closed ?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thread closed ?

I have had a problem solved by using this brilliant forum. I see that the icon legend at the bottom of the page allows a thread to be marked with a padlock symbol as ' now closed '. Seems like a good idea as it obviates the need to open a thread only to find that help is no longer needed. Any way to selectively mark a thread as ' closed ' ? How do I mark my thread as ' closed ' please.
    Dave Dale.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    All you need to do is to post on the thread stating your problem is solved, as you have done. That's it.
    The padlock is meant to stop anyone else posting the thread and it's used by the moderators only. Locking a thread is not a common occurrence and it's only done when there is a problem or the thread is a duplicate of a thread addressing the same issue.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-10-29 at 11:23.

Thanks
    There is a plugin we could use that allows a thread to be marked as solved. It serves the purpose of letting others know the thread starter needs no further assistance, and it indicates to those with similar questions that a good answer lays inside the thread.

I agree with ruirib, the closed thread option serves a different purpose. We can look at other options however.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    There is a plugin we could use that allows a thread to be marked as solved. It serves the purpose of letting others know the thread starter needs no further assistance, and it indicates to those with similar questions that a good answer lays inside the thread.
    I guess that would be a nice plugin to have .

Lounger
    Thanks
    This morning while searching for "Access 2007 delete lock file" this site was the 1st hit.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...g-file-reading
    I jumped to the thread thinking "Great! a highly respected valuable forum contains information about what I need to fix a problem at work!". The information in the thread was minimal, I was ready to add my knowledge but the thread was closed! This is still relevant information, why close the thread? Now I have to either start a new one or go on to my next link in the search (not windowssecrets). Moderators, why do you close threads? Is there some quota? Are you bothered by how many "open" ones there are? I dont' get it. Leave them all open, post a reply that the problem is solved as stated by
    davideedale. Anyone agree? disagree?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan8 View Post
    This morning while searching for "Access 2007 delete lock file" this site was the 1st hit.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...g-file-reading
    I jumped to the thread thinking "Great! a highly respected valuable forum contains information about what I need to fix a problem at work!". The information in the thread was minimal, I was ready to add my knowledge but the thread was closed! This is still relevant information, why close the thread? Now I have to either start a new one or go on to my next link in the search (not windowssecrets). Moderators, why do you close threads? Is there some quota? Are you bothered by how many "open" ones there are? I dont' get it. Leave them all open, post a reply that the problem is solved as stated by
    davideedale. Anyone agree? disagree?
    The thread in question is three years old. Most Loungers would wonder why someone would be posting to a thread that old even if though the information is good. As to the other questions - there is no quota, we do not care about open threads. Generally, we just leave threads alone and do not close them. However, in this case during a software change/upgrade a decision was made to close many old threads.

Joe