4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to show full name of file in Word 2010?

Hi,

I am using MS Word 2010. When I put the cursor over the file name. the full title does not show in a highlight as it once did. How can I correct this problem.

Thank you very much.

Moon

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Moon,

A few questions:

Where is the file name located when you put the cursor over it? - is it inside a Word document, or is it the file name of a Word document that you're viewing in Windows Explorer? Which version of Windows? What is the full title you expect to see, and what is showing instead?

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary,

Thanks for responding.
    I am using Windows 7 Ultimate. The Word document is located in a Folder titled "Math Studies". The title of the Word document is "Larson - PRECALCULUS - A Graphing Approach - Chapter Prerequisites 1 - Real Numbers, p. 2-11". What shows when I put the cursor on the title of this Word document is "Larson - PRECALCULUS - A Graphing Approach..."

The Math Studies folder is located on my desktop.

Thanks
    When you expect the full name to show up, are you within the Word program or in Windows Explorer?

This will be a remarkably long file path. That is the reason for the ellipsis (...).

I don't think that the filename field is what you want but just in case:

{ FILENAME \p }

The delimiters {} are inserted using Ctrl-F9, not by typing.
    You can also insert the field using Insert > Building Blocks > Fields.
    This puts the full filename and path into a Word document.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Charles. I executed a Ctrl + F9, and now I get the full title.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just went back to that same document. This time the full title did not show when I put the cursor on it. I did the Ctrl + F9 but that did not eliminate the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Moon,

If you're talking about not seeing the entire title of the document when you're viewing a list of documents in Windows Explorer, this is a function of which folder view you are currently in, as well as the width you have different columns set to in the folder contents pane.

For instance, if you have your Explorer window set to 'List' view, you should only see the file names in the folder contents pane on the right. This would usually allow for even a very long file name like this, to display in full.

On the other hand, if you have the Explorer window set to 'Details' view, then in the folder contents pane on the right you will have different columns, for Name, Size, Type, Date Modified etc. In this view, if the Name column isn't wide enough to display the entire file name, then it will truncate exactly as you describe. Solution there would be to either drag the Name column wider, or else switch from Details to List view.

The attached illustration shows where to change the folder view (this is in Windows XP, but it should work exactly the same in Windows 7).

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Gary. I did have the View set to Details. When I changed it to List, the complete file name appeared.

I might add here that Microsoft told me that when there is only one file in a folder, with the view in Details, the full name will not show up. After two or three more items have been added, putting the cursor over the title will produce a highlighted box showing full details...name, date created, etc.

Thanks again, and have a very Good one...

Moon