New Lounger
    Thanks

Question XP/7 Dual Boot, How do I remove XP?

Hello everyone, this is my first post, tho' I've been a subscriber for a few years now.

I have a dual boot system, XP and Win7 Home Premium with 3 HDD's which have roughly 2 partitions per disc.
    My primary partition, C:, contains XP whilst Win 7 is on a partition labelled N: on another drive.
    The system dual boots with Win 7 being the default.

I thought that I would hate Win 7 so I kept the option of XP to revert back to. I was very wrong, I have grown to love Win 7 and found it to be very helpful and reliable. I haven't used XP for over a year now and will probably never return to it.

So....my question!

Is there a way that I can remove XP from drive C:, remove the dual boot option and move Win 7 from drive N: to drive C: so that Win 7 becomes my primary and only boot up OS?

Assuming the above is possible, how easy is it to convert to Win7 64bit from 32bit? My hardware is compatible but I'm not sure about my software!

TIA
    spudkat

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spudkat View Post
    Is there a way that I can remove XP from drive C:, remove the dual boot option and move Win 7 from drive N: to drive C: so that Win 7 becomes my primary and only boot up OS?
    "spud"
    Hello...There are a few ways to do this.... I would proceed this way..

1. Make an Image of your "7" OS ...I would use a 3rd party software (free) either EASEUS Todo Backup , or an older Macrium Reflect version 4.2.3638 and save to one of you other than C: drives... Remember to "Burn" the "Recovery Disk" as prompted by whatever program you decide.This way you have it in-case something goes wrong... Also do one (Image) of your XP while your at it.

2. Boot from the "Recovery Disk" and select your "7" image , and recover it to your disk of choice... In your case the one that had XP on it. Just because... i would choose disk 0 partition 1 for my default.

3. Once booted up you then can "Format" the old "7" HD, and use it for whatever you want. Using Windows Disk Management, or a 3rd party called "Gparted" (Free)

This is a quick "Thumbnail" post back if you have questions ... It's late for me and I'm tired ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi spudkat & welcome to the lounge.

I'll answer your last question first if I may.

You can't convert a 32bit version of Windows to 64 bit unfortunately.

If your ultimate goal is to run 64bit Win 7 the easiest option would be to simply install it over the XP partition (after backing it up as Fred mentions above!)

After doing that you will still be in a dual boot situation which is ideal at this point as you will be able boot into the 32bit version and run the Windows Easy Transfer utility and transfer most of your settings to the new 64bit.

Once you've done that removing the dual boot is easy, fire up MSCONFIG, click the Boot tab and remove the one you don't want.

Thanks
    Spud, welcome as a new poster. stop back as often as you would like.

Browni is correct. In order to change the bitness of an OS you need to reinstall Win 7 and all your apps. Any 32 Bit app you are currently using should work on a 64 Bit Win 7 installation, Older apps (16 bit, etc) may not. Also all drivers for devices would have to be converted to 64 Bit. In most cases Win 7 will actually contain many of the drivers, if not all, that you will need, but you do have to reinstall.

I would do 2 different things. I would create the Image Fred suggested and restore Win 7 directly in the XP partition, then use a partitioning app such as Partition Wizard or free Easeus Partition Magic to rid yourself of XP partition. I would hold off on installing your apps at this time.

Next I would install the 64 Bit Win 7 (custom install) directly in the new Win 7 (32 bit partition)(This is the partition you just restored Win 7 32 Bit in). I would follow this step after restoring Win 7 (32 Bit) because it will create a folder in your new Win 7 (64 Bit) OS called windows.old. This folder contains the entire Win 7 (32 Bit) that you just installed over. You can open this folder and retrieve all your data that was originally contained in the 32 Bit Win 7 installation and place it in the appropriate Win 7 64 Bit locations. Once you have installed Win 7 (64 Bit), then start installing all your apps. I would start with security apps (AV and AM) then everything else you need. By doing this you may decide there were several apps you had installed that you no longer need. This is a great time to move everything you need from the windows.old folder to your new Win 7 64 Bit OS. I'm talking favorites, contacts, music, pics, app data, everything. Once you have everthing you want out of this folder it can be deleted by following this MS procedure. At this point clean up all temp folders using an app such as CCleaner, defragment your HD using Win 7 Defragmentor.

Once you have installed all necessary apps, done all the customizations you wish to do, get everything set up the way you want it to be, then create a new Image of the whole thing as a gold standard Image of the fresh install. I also create new Images when I make changes on my system. This includes updates, new apps or uninstalled apps, whatever. What this does is allow me to restore my PC if something bad happens in the shortest period of time because I have an up to date Image when something bad happens.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-10-30 at 04:52.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys.

The swap doesn't sound as daunting as I had feared, though it's a bit disappointing to know that a straight swap from 32 to 62bit isn't possible.

As it happens, all my personal folders including email, contacts, music etc. are on a different partition. The difficulty lies in remembering where they are and how to set Firefox and Thunderbird to find them again after all the adjustments.

I guess it's time to get out the old pen and paper. If only I could remember how to write

Thanks
    I do not even cursive write any more, I print (my job of 25 years requires it although we have all switched to PC reporting and charting). With this old brain cell I would be hard pressed to cursive any more than my signature.

Yea, it's somewhat of a pain to change bitness. Remember though that when you reinstall Win 7 into the same partition, windows.old may become your friend. The nice thing is that you will end up with a pristeen installation. Assuming you start creating Images at that point you will be able to keep that system pristeen or return it to a pristeen condition if disaster stikes in a very short period of time.

Good luck with the pen / paper, and good luck with the reinstall.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, sorry Ted but I had to go to Wikipedia to find out what 'cursive' writing was.

How did 'English' and 'American' languages get so far apart?

Cursive writing is better known as 'joined-up writing' in English or in my day 'double writing', tho' I can't find a Wikipedia reference to it. (Maybe it was local!)

It's fascinating that your 'faucet' is my 'tap' and the 'boot' and 'bonnet' of my car is your 'trunk' and 'hood'. But, perhaps this should be another thread!

Anybody reading this should bear in mind that there is a trans-atlantic language gap, particularly with nouns. However, I think we all understand Microsoft, Windows, Bill Gates, Apple, PC, etc.........

I'll certainly go with your back-up policies, very sensible.
    Now, I just need a long bank holiday weekend, hold my breath and go for it!

Thanks
    Yes, there are times when have to scratch our heads with terminology differences, but I consider these learning experiences. Good luck with you "playing". I have found, through lots of practice, that Win 7 is reasonable well behaved during these changes to size of partitions, deleting partitions, reinstalling, etc. You should not have any problems. We'll keep our fingers crossed for your success. (Geez, I hope this isn't another of those across the pond language quirks)
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-11-03 at 21:14.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    For all of us Yanks trying to decipher Britspeak:
    http://englishclub.8m.com/ukus1.htm

J
    erry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry jwitalka, but there is soo much wrong with those 'britspeak' lists.

You'd be surprised how much influence American TV programs have had over here. It's only when certain American cop shows or films revert to East or West coast slang that I often struggle with what is being said. There again, if I broke into Liverpudlian slang, you'd probably have the same problem.

Rest assured, we do not call our car batteries, accumulators and never have since I've been alive (50+yrs) and you won't find Daps (Sneakers) outside of South Wales, which is not England. We call them Pumps, plimsolls, tennis shoes or trainers.

Probably around 75% is accurate or close so don't believe all that you read!..... Whilst you put gas in your vehicle, press the gas pedal and drive a couple of hours on the freeway, I'll put petrol in my car, press the accelerator pedal and drive a hundred miles on the motorway. It's all the same.

Thank goodness that the Internet doesn't allow for regional accents, but that's another story

Spud.

Thanks
    Ey up lad, nowt wrong with a good Lancashire accent