New Lounger
    Thanks

IE8 hangs continually with Win7 32bit

IE8 running under Enterprise Win7 32 bit chronically hangs with a white mask over the app. I ran IE8 under XP and did not have this issue. I have searched Google and the Lounge and have not found an answer.

I find other apps hang periodically with Win 7 as well, but IE8 is by far the most frequest. Once I close the afflicted app in Task Manager, the O/S holds me hostage for a minute or so while it trys to find an answer (it never does). This is a Lenova T510 laptop that is approximately 9 months old.

When I look in the Event Viewer, the error for the hung application seems to always be 0xc000005. When I Google that code, I turn up information similar to this "According to experts, 0xc0000005 error occurs due to an illegal memory access violation. In other words, PC user can experience this type of error when he or she uses an application that attempts to access data or information in a memory address which is invalid."

I tried SFC /scannow and the Windows Memory Test as per the suggestions in Google.

My personal laptop is a Dell Latitude 64bit Win7 machine with IE8 and I have similar behavior from that machine.

Any advice will be most welcome! Thanks.

"""

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    What security apps are you running. I'd suggest you UPDATE your Virus application and run a full scan. I'd also suggest you download MalwareBytes Free , make sure you download the FREE version, and run a full scan with that. You may need to get to a computer that does not display these symptoms to do the download. You may also want to download a Portable browser like the portable version of FireFox so you have a working browser. Report back w/your results.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    IE8 running under Enterprise Win7 32 bit chronically hangs with a white mask over the app.
    Please clarify "white mask" [??]

Thanks
    Have a look at this MS support page, especially method 5

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196

@Clint, the "white mask" is a commonly used feature nowadays where the browser window will be greyed out whilst some add-on is doing work behind the scenes and doesn't want user intervention. Then again, Windows could just be throwing a wobbly!

Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't previously heard anything like it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    What security apps are you running. I'd suggest you UPDATE your Virus application and run a full scan. I'd also suggest you download MalwareBytes Free , make sure you download the FREE version, and run a full scan with that. You may need to get to a computer that does not display these symptoms to do the download. You may also want to download a Portable browser like the portable version of FireFox so you have a working browser. Report back w/your results.
    We use the Enterprise version of McAfee. It's current, and I ran a full scan a couple of days ago. This turned up nothing. I do have FireFox, but we have some proprietary apps that need IE. In any case, I get the freezes with the white mask in other apps as well. From the even log, the last 3 apps to have this same error code were IE, Snagit, and Blue Zone (a terminal emulator). Sometime in IE, I get the polite error "I'm sorry, but I have to close". I use Sharepoint a lot at work at access it with IE.

I have had IT look at this but their only suggestion was to blame it on IE add-ons. Even with everything turned off, the hangs still occurr and the hangs occur with other apps. One of my co-workers gets the same hang with Word. I will say that I haven't noticed the issue with any of my Adobe apps.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Please clarify "white mask" [??]
    Here is an image of what happens. When the mask overlays the app, the app becomes unusable. For example, I cannot open another tab in IE and have to close it. Sometimes, the kill requires Task Manager.
    Looks like you have to click this to make it larger. white_mask.png

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Have a look at this MS support page, especially method 5

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956196

@Clint, the "white mask" is a commonly used feature nowadays where the browser window will be greyed out whilst some add-on is doing work behind the scenes and doesn't want user intervention. Then again, Windows could just be throwing a wobbly!
    Thanks for the thought. I have already tried #5. I also get the hangs in other apps besides IE - Snagit for example. I used the same apps with XP and did not have the hangs and freezes.

BTW, I am an administrator of the workstation if that matters.