Thread: ~$normal.dot

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

~$normal.dot

My Windows XP fully up to date, no changes made just before the error started…

When I close a document in Word 2000, the white area [the paper] goes then I get an error menu, which says.

Microsoft Word for windows has encountered a problem and needs to close"

I do not get it in any other program with in Office 2000 only Word.

I have run the repair mode, and reinstalled it; the error is still there.

I moved Normal.dot and all my templates, which were made from the old Normal.dot files to a memory chip

I restarted word the closed it and the error was still there. I checked the template folder and there was two files normal.dot and ~$normal.dot

The problem is ~$normal.dot is not being deleted.

I went in msconfig, then into Diagnostic mode, which is a basic start up, I then open a document in word then closed it straight away, and the error was still there.

I run Ashampoo Winoptimzer 6 and did a full disc clean and optimise

Uninstall Office 2000 with the disc

Run Ashampoo Winoptimzer 6 again and it found un-required registry entries 74, Drive cleaner found 14 un-required entries.

I re-install Office 2000 and the error was still there.

I open a new user profile just to see what would happen, I opened and closed Word and the error was gone. Switched back to the old user and the error was still there.

So the error is in the profile of my old user.

So I went into C:\Documents and Settings\old-un\application Data\Microsoft
    and change the name of two folders Office and Word to Office.duff and Word.duff

But that did not make any difference the error was still there

I tried Start > Run > winword.exe /a and the error was gone., so I tried a short cut to the file winword.exe but the error was back

Why

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you been deleting the leftover owner files (~$normal.dot)? And are you saying that when you check the templates folder when Word is closed, you see a new leftover owner file --whose date coincides with the last time you opened Word? If so, the owner file may just be a symptom of another problem, because owner files aren't deleted when Word closes unexpectedly. I mean the failure occurs and Word doesn't have time to or can't delete the owner files. Are there any leftover owner files in you documents folder?

Pam

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldn View Post
    I tried Start > Run > winword.exe /a and the error was gone., so I tried a short cut to the file winword.exe but the error was back
    When you start Word with the /a switch, any add-ins are disabled and all customizations are ignored (factory defaults are used). It sounds as though "something" in your environment is preventing Word from fully exiting. Or to put that another way, something in your environment is keeping your Normal template open after you exit Word.

In Word 2000, you can check for add-ins in at least 3 places:

Tools > Templates and Add-ins (the Global templates)

The COM Add-ins dialog (I can't remember where this is in the menus/dialogs, but you can add it to the Tools menu using customization)

your Word\Startup folder

Try disabling anything not absolutely essential and see whether you can root out the culprit.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jscher

Thanks for getting back to me.

“When you start Word with the /a switch, any add-ins are disabled and all customizations are ignored (factory defaults are used).” So why did it not go to factory default when I re-installed it.

“Tools > Templates and Add-ins (the Global templates)” the only word in this folder is Normal.

Cocuments and Settings / User Name / Application Data / Microsoft / Word /
    There were 17 documents starting ~WRL and ending in .tmp

But there is also a AutoRecovery save of Document1.wbk

I opened one of the doc to see what there were and they were document I had made in the last month or so, when I close them there appears a new wbk file. That must had been the last time I did a search for files starting with ~ and deleted them.

There were a start up folder in the word folder but it was empty

I have only customized the menu bar in word by adding short cuts to places like “Bold” for formatting.

I have been thinking a lot about this since I put this up on the site, and I think, I am not sure, that it started when I was doing some editing on a memory stick [My Memory stick] and in the middle Word lock up, I had to restart Word to get it working again. Then I could not get in to any of the documents on the memory stick. Lucky I had back up before the edit.
    Last edited by oldn; 2011-11-01 at 07:19.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Pam

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have done a search for and not found any in my document folders.

I looked in one of the tmp files and I found the log that was made the last time I re-installed Office.

I did a search for error and found

TYPICALUPGRADETEXT = U&pgrade Now
    Property(S): UNQUALIFIEDOSERROR = This product cannot be installed on this computer. This product requires at least Windows 95, Windows NT Version 4.0, or Windows 2000 or later.

I can not understand this because I have it on auto update.

Don't know if this as any thing to do with it

Thanks
    “When you start Word with the /a switch, any add-ins are disabled and all customizations are ignored (factory defaults are used).” So why did it not go to factory default when I re-installed it.
    Like many installers, the Office installer does not purge your existing settings. Using /a is really a temporary measure for testing.

C:\Documents and Settings / User Name / Application Data / Microsoft / Word /
    There were 17 documents starting ~WRL and ending in .tmp

But there is also a AutoRecovery save of Document1.wbk
    One level down you should find a Startup folder. Anything in there?

Also, did you find the COM Add-ins dialog anywhere?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank for getting back to me

I found this while searching goolgle for COM Add-ins dialog to find more about it.

Since Word 2000, Word has been able to work with COM Add-ins.

A COM Add-in may be installed for the current user or for all users of the machine.
    If the add-in is installed for the current user only, there will be registry entries at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\A ddins.

All I found was Default, Feiendlyname, Load Behavior

If the add-in is installed for all users of the machine, there will be registry entries at both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\ Addins and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\A ddins.

msodraa9.sharp select
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I found nothing in Word / start up, or in Office / Recent / Start up

But I did find in Word,duff / recent / start up / "Fine Reader.Sprint.dot Microsoft Word Template

Which is part of my scanner OCR software, it seem to be working all right with out it.
    Last edited by oldn; 2011-11-02 at 01:59.