Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstaller Programs: Are They Worth It?

Thanks
    Yes, Two possibilities:

Revo Uninstaller (I have the Pro edition, It will handle 64 Bit apps, the free edition is for 32 Bit Apps)

Absolute Uninstall (seems to work for both)

I use Revo almost exclusively.

The MS uninstaller in many cases actually uses the apps uninstaller. Most app developers do not develope good uninstallers for their apps. Uninstaller apps scan for and find leftover items the app uninstallers miss or leave behind.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-11-01 at 12:35.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7zuki View Post
    And if the advice is "yes", which uninstaller do you recommend?
    "zuki" ,
    Hello.... It depends... answer these questions and you will be able to decide...

1. Are you always trying out new software ?

2. Do you try to remove "bits" of your "OS" (if you have a "OEM" install.)?

3. Do you mind paying for software?

I think that the all around winner (pay for or not) and seldom mentioned, is Total Uninstall Martau this program takes a snapshot of your OS before you install anything..and then compares the "after" install ...So ,if you then want to remove the program...It has all the "info" needed to do so... Also can do a backup of the install ..So you can re-install any program at any time. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-11-01 at 08:44.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I've seldom ever had a need for one and for most programs you won't.
    I've used the multi purpose JVPower Tools on occasion to help remove the rare stubborn app.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It depends on what you are trying to achieve by uninstalling an application.

If you simply want to remove the program and not worry about the minutiae of any leftovers, then the Windows uninstall wizard - which as Ted notes, often calls the developers uninstaller program - is absolutely fine.

If however, you want to eradicate all traces of the program ever having been installed in the first place, and take some risk by having a third-party application make changes to your registry, then there may be some merit to uninstaller apps.

Last time I looked, Revo Uninstaller actually uses the built in Windows uninstaller as it's first pass, then, if so desired by the user, can use increasingly aggressive techniques for removing left over traces. I haven't used Absolute Uninstaller, so can't comment.

Personally, I have never deployed anything other than the plain vanilla uninstaller, for the same reasons that I don't use registry cleaners.

Others may disagree, and I respect their opinions - perhaps their experience is different to mine. I have to say though, I have never seen an issue with a badly removed program after using the Windows uninstall wizard, except where the initial installation was corrupt.

However, I have seen machines doing rather strange things where these types of applications are installed (and have probably been used on the most aggressive settings).

As someone who encounters a wide range of users on a daily basis, my heart sinks when I see desktop shortcuts to these types of apps on a machine brought in because it is "not right". I suspect that even those who hold different views to me on the use of these types of programs probably recognise the feeling I describe.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have never used an uninstaller. Can't say that I will not consider using it, if I need to, but have never felt the need so far. I agree with Tinto Tech's views on uninstallers and registry cleaners.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-11-01 at 10:10. Reason: spelling

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The only time I've ever used an uninstaller program is when the Windows uninstall wizard fails. I agree with Tinto Tech too.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Coke or Pepsi, Mayo or Miracle Whip,.... that's the kind of topic this is. Do what you feel is right for your system and fits with your level of knowledge and of course your backup practices. Personally, I'm with Ted on this one and use both Revo {free} and CCleaner on a regular basis w/o problems for several years. But then again I do keep regular image backups so I can get out of any trouble I get myself into. YMMV
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My only issue with the normal uninstaller is the crap they leave behind in the User/Username directory. Do the aftermarket uninstallers git rid of this stuff?

Thanks
    I use Revo Pro and use their most aggressive Advanced mode to get rid of all traces and have NEVER had a problem doing this. I also use CCleaner with like results. Perhaps the left over stuff will never cause a problem, perhaps!!! I am unwilling to take this chance. YMMV. Before I heard of Revo Uninstaller (I used the free version for several years before buying the Pro version) I used the Windows Uninstaller. I then had all the leftover stuff to manually get rid of. What a hassle! I did the manual removal in the registry. I don't recommend this at all for those not VERY familiar with the registry. Now, I do not have to do this Revo and CCleaner does it for me, but like I said YMMV. I also am a strong advocate of Imaging and recreate Images often to allow restoration when I screw something up. If you don't feel comfortable when you start using uninstallers or registry cleaners, then Image first.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy