Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How can I tell if my monitor is touch ready?

Microsoft gives this away for win 7 user's but your computer or monitor that supports Windows Touch (at least 2 touch input support required)!!

To anyone thats interested, it's here & free;
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ng=en&id=17368
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2011-11-02 at 05:08.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post
    How can I tell if my monitor is touch ready?
    From the content of your post, surely better-titled Free Microsoft Software for Touch Screens ?
    Most people should be well aware whether or not their monitors are touch-ready...!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    @batcher;

well, I bought top of the line Dell monitor but 'dah' I don't know. I guess it's difficult to tell--- Huh?

I'll call Dell and find out.

Thanks
    I would be amazed if "Touch Screen" wasn't emblazened everywhere possible on the packaging, if the monitor had this fairly fundamental feature!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    So would I.
    If you realy don't know if your monitor has touch capability, in which case it's very likely that it doesn't, you can look the old fashioned way by searching for it
    based on make & model number.
    Untitled.jpg
    As you can see from this snapshot of SIW, You will be able to get the exact make, model number, serial number, and manufacturing date.
    What you will be searching for is a user manual or spec sheet of some kind. You can start at the seller/manufacturer's website.

**WINDOWS 7 & VISTA ONLY**
    ...And the quickest way to determine whether your monitor has touch display capability is; [drum roll]

3.jpg
    Go to control panel, click on "System", under the Windows experience index there should be a line titled "Pen and Touch".
    As you can see from the photo mine doesn't support pen or touch.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-11-02 at 14:03.

Thanks
    The easiest way to find out is to just touch it.
    If it slaps you in the face you know it's touch ready...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    A touch screen will make itself readily obvious.......... just read the price tag. Eh?

It's kind of like buying a diamond ring..... a real diamond will cost many times that of a zircon (glass).

I'm betting that 'touch screens' will start selling like hotcakes when windows 8 is finally released.
    It's designed to be run on one.

Cheers Mates!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I'm sitting here locking at my monitor and when I extend my arm it's about 6" further away then my hand...
    I guess a touch screen would be a little uncomfortable to use...

Having never used one before, except on my oven and microwave I suspect it would get a little uncomfortable sitting with your arm extended all the time...

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A slight digression, but I don't think touch screens will make it big in the desktop market. Why? If using a desktop PC, look to the right (or to the left if you are left handed) of your keyboard - what do you see? A Mouse. Ask yourself why it is there rather than anywhere else - it's because it is ergonomic to have the GUI interface control element adjacent to the keyboard. The hand movement is minimised when using keyboard/mouse. Consider now if you have a keyboard but need to use the GUI control element on screen. See the difference?

OK, one could type using an on-screen keyboard, but that is not very ergonomic and as Banyarola notes one would suffer RSI very quickly.

Touch is great for tablet PC's - I already use iPad in some scenarios - but it has limited use for desktop, or even laptop.

Thanks
    Yes TT, my thoughts exactly...

In the spring and summer I get some of those tiny little gnats that get through the window screen and find their way to the monitor when it's dark and the only light is the monitor being on...

Usually I dispatch them with a little flick of my finger...I can just imagine the havoc I would create with a touch screen..Unless, of course, the monitor had a built in bug zapper...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The mouse was around long before touch screens. We're just to them that's why we find the idea of a desktop without a mouse distasteful. Compared to a touch screen a mouse is not very ergonomic at all. We learn by touching, it's natural and we've been doing it since infancy. If touch screens had been available when GUIs came into use, we'd never know what a mouse is. If I could touch my screen for many functions as opposed to using a mouse, it would be a great improvement in usability and speed.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2011-11-04 at 10:09.
    Chuck

Thanks
    I don't agree Doc...
    Just the thought of using a touch screen for normal functions seems very awkward..

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm curious, have you tried an iPad or Android powered tablet? After using one, even for only a few minutes, you suddenly wonder why we're not doing this on all computing devices. Its why they are wildly popular. About 6 or 7 years ago, we tested several Fujitsu tablets and touch screen laptops running XP. They were excellent. I enjoyed tapping to get through the menus, and the doctors that tested them loved them. The trouble was that XP wasn't built for touch screen tablets and was flaky, as well as having no way to type data into medical record apps, so we never pursued them. I recently got a Samsung Character phone. Not a smart phone, but it has a touch screen and has the same swipe control as many hand held devices. I now really want this same functionality for my laptop and LCD monitor. I can't say it would entirely replace the mouse, but I already know I would have much less use for it. Windows 8 is going to bring a great touch screen experience to desktops and laptops I think.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2011-11-04 at 16:30.
    Chuck

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, I make significant use of iPad and iPhone: I couldn't be nearly as effective or efficient without them. When working mobile, I now only use my laptop if I need PC capabilities. In the office it's different - I need workstation abilities and touch cannot deliver that with current implementations.

Having used both touch and plain vanilla keyboard/mouse, in my opinion they both have their different virtues. Nonetheless, I remain convinced as per my original comment that touch is not going to be big on desktops anywhere soon. On tablets, the converse is of course true - touch rules that roost and so it should.

To digress upon my digression - I think this difference between touch and keyboard/mouse is a reason why Windows 8 in it's current Developer Preview form would struggle in the desktop market. There is a real danger of trying to meet the requirements of tablet and desktop at the same time, while missing the mark on both.....but that's perhaps a different debate for a different time.

Thanks
    Well, based on my experience, the very fact of having my right hand moving toward my screen and my left hand reaching for a cup of coffee on my right side the resulting convergence of the intersecting angles will, by the law of averages, sooner or later intersect at the optimal angle of convergence resulting in a collision which will be of no consequence unless the collision takes place after you have the coffee cup in your hand.

Of course, the resulting mess will be directly proportional to the amount of coffee in the cup at the time of the before mentioned collision...

For those of you that are mathematically proficient the equation is:

H1(2v1)+H2v2cos(phi)=(H1+v1)v(final)sin(theta) or could it be (H1+H2)2vcos(phi) divided by (s1+s2)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast