New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot install drivers or windows updates

Hi
    I wonder if anyone can help me.
    For the last week or so I have been experiencing problems on my Win7 install.

Firstly I have been having problems with various drivers. My Nokia software stopped recognising my phone. It looked like a driver problem so I tried reinstalling the driver - every time I get an install error stating that the data is invalid.

Next my sound stopped working after an upgrade to a new driver. I tried to reinstall the original driver and I get the same message data is invalid.

At the same time I have also noticed that Microsoft updates are now failing. there are 6 or 7 sitting waiting to be installed at shutdown time, yet thet do not install.

I have run malwarebytes anti-malware scan and full virus scan and everything seems clean.

I tried to do a win7 repair install, but this fails with an error that some data or other is invalid (sorry cannot remember)

Any ideas what could be causing this, and mre importantly how to fix it.

Cheers
    Mike

Thanks
    Hi Mike,

WSL.JPG

Run Chkdsk

RR.JPG

After you have done above, type cmd in the start menu search box, right click the exe file and run as administrator type sfc /scannow and press enter.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Try doing a system restore to a point prior to the occurrence of the issue. if that doesn't work, try running SFC /scannow from an elevated prompt.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys,

Thanks very much - all scans completed fine.

One thing I forgot to mention is that system restore is failing to restore to any backups as well

Any other ideas before I just have to blitz it would be extremely welcome

Cheers
    Mike

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hello Mike,

before you go any further, take a system image backup using the tool of your choice - some recommend Macrium Reflect, which is a good starting point, but for this purpose a standard Windows image backup will do just as nicely.

Having taken that backup, any data you have on the machine is at much less risk.

Now, open the Event Viewer and see if there are any entries showing errors. I would expect quite a few from your comment, but the trick is to split the symptoms from the cause.

If sfc /scannow was clean then the OS is not fundamentally compromised. So, since Windows Updates and drivers seem to be core to the issue, you could attempt to install a single failing Windows Update, then re-inspect the event viewer to see what the error is. Review Security, Applications and System logs to check for the errors.