New Lounger
    Thanks

Virus Infection From Using Teamviewer To Connect To An Infected Computer?

Hello,

I've been searching and can't find an answer to my question: Is it possible to get infected when controlling a compromised computer via Teamviewer?

Thanks,

Denny

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Denny,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Unless you transfer infected files using TeamViewer, I think an infection is not possible.

Thanks
    Hi Denny,
    With no disrespect to my friend Rui, I would run a scan, it takes less time to run than to fix if infected. BSTS
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I do not see how it would be possible. You are manipulating some other PC remotely from your PC. As Rui states unless you somehow transfer a file from the infected PC to your PC I do not think this is possible.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    That's an interesting question.

I have used Team Viewer on occasion and never thought of that problem.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A very interesting question indeed.....

Even though you are connected to the remote PC via the Teamviewer application, using a vnc or rdp type protocol over a vpn (off the top of my head I don't know exactly the implementation in teamviewer), you are still exchanging data directly with the target system.

Granted, this is not the same as transferring files, but data is data, and if the teamviewer application was compromised in some way, such data could be maliciously exploited.

I believe the risk is very low, but not zero. There have been remote exploit bugs reported previously in teamviewer (and just to be fair, probably in most other remote access tools too).

A vanishingly small probability perhaps, but so is the risk of being struck by lightning. One stays indoors in a thunderstorm and one should practice "safe rather than sorry" methods when it becomes necessary to work remotely on a compromised machine.

Thanks
    Well TT, I know the data is encrypted.

Now that I think of it, there is an option in Team Viewer that allows the computer you're connected to control your computer...It's off by default..

The remote computer you are working on does not have the option to turn it on, Only you do from your computer.

I think, as long as it's OFF then there would be no chance of the other side infecting you.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I agree Banyarola. The very small risk I noted was if the teamviewer application itself had been attacked or a bug in the application had been exploited in some way. Would probably need to have been attacked on both machines, so highly unlikely.

Personally, I use standard operating procedures, ensure realtime virus detection is enabled and not loose too much sleep over it.

Thanks
    Yes TT, you're right.

I don't use it much but when I do the first thing I do is run scans on the other computer....

I believe it's safe to use as long as you exercise caution.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The question here is not whether you should not have protection in place in both computers (that doesn't need stating!), but whether the simple remote access would compromise the controlling computer. The likelihood of that happening (I can't rule it out, guess only TeamViewer developers could), is very, very small. It would most likely have to be a specific Teamviewer targeting virus, that would know how to exploit some Teamviewer bug to be able to inject himself into the remote system. All very unlikely.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-11-03 at 13:33.

Thanks
    I use Team Viewer all the time, as many tech's do, to fix little problems on customer's PC's.
    But when I say "Customer's PC's" I'm saying PC's that I've already installed my favorite Security
    package on.
    Even if it were a total stranger, (not much chance of that) I would still have to rely on my own
    active scanner (AVG 2012 Pro) to nail anything bad coming back through the remote link.

In my own experience, some negative feedback has just NEVER happened.

First, make sure you have the best Anti-Malware software running on your own PC and that it's up to
    date and then don't worry about using Team Viewer. Eh?

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!