5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Polishing your (photo) image for free!

BEST SOFTWARE

Polishing your (photo) image for free!

By Katherine Murray

Whether you prefer taking photos with your digital camera or the camera in your phone, downloadable tools can help you make your pictures pop.

If you don't want to share lackluster photos, you can use some of these full-featured (and free!) photo-editing programs to spruce up your images.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-software/polishing-your-photo-image-for-free/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2011-11-02 at 14:28.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another great (free) photo-editing program is called PhotoFiltre (http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm). I use it to tweak all my photos, and I've used at work when I've needed to point out something in a photo, then put the photo(s) in a powerpoint program. For a free program, it's very powerful and I like it better than the other four, myself.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Absolutely! I use it regularly

Quote Originally Posted by gaftech View Post
    Another great (free) photo-editing program is called PhotoFiltre (http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm). I use it to tweak all my photos, and I've used at work when I've needed to point out something in a photo, then put the photo(s) in a powerpoint program. For a free program, it's very powerful and I like it better than the other four, myself.
    Have used Photofiltre with groups learning digital photography - it has many Photoshop like tools.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One annoying thing about Photoscape: When you go to its home page, the download link gives you GIMP, which is an entirely different photo editor. ..... Who knows why Photoscape gives you GIMP on the apparently official download link.
    ROFLMAO please excuse my mirth, that's a Google ad! I had to refresh the page several times just to see it, the ad I got was for Corel Draw. It's always wise to mouse over a link before you click it to be sure what it is & where it's taking you
    If at first you do not succeed...
    Look in the trash for the instructions!

Thanks
    Just plain old Windows Live Photo Gallery & Paint work well enough for me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    GIMP is an amazing piece of free software. However, learning how to exploit its full potential takes time. PhotoFiltre is easier to get the hang of and is an excellent product.

Thanks
    Folks should be aware that Paint.NET requires keeping .NET Framework on your PC. Many folks consider this to be a deal-breaker, given all the patching problems .NET Framework has caused over the years.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've spent a long time looking for a free and reasonable (+lightweight) photo editing tool (which I can open without the system eating properties of the heavyweight tools) and am currently using PixBuilder Studio, which I would recommend as worth a look.
    John