iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Yet more on Win7's XP Mode: printing and DOS

LANGALIST PLUS

Yet more on Win7's XP Mode: printing and DOS

By Fred Langa

There's almost always a way to run ancient apps in Windows 7.

Win7's XP Mode even emulates old-school serial-communication (COM) and line-printer (LPT) ports.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/yet-more-on-Win7-s-XP-mode-printing-and-dos/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

Re: How to adjust text size in Web browsers
    I'd also like to set my own font size in browsers, but can't get it consistent. IE has a couple of thing to do: Options / Accessibility / Ignore font size; and then View / Text size. However, it doesn't seem to work, on Facebook, especially. Tiny, tiny fonts on people's status. Yes, Ctrl+<scroll> works. But it shouldn't be necessary, dang nabbit! It oughta behave! And it sometimes makes for fuzzy edges on the images.

Lounger
    Thanks
    What the...? Windows 7 32-bit is one thing, but unless I am gravely mistaken, Win 7 64-bit won't run DOS apps, period, at least not without XP Mode or something like it (such as VMware or DOSBox).

This is horribly misleading. That first link to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...40(WS.10).aspx is in regards to the Windows command-line. It might support old DOS commands, but it will not run old DOS programs! A "DOS-box" it most certainly is not!

Also, PPC versions of OS X can be run under Windows using an emulator known as Pear PC – but I understand it doesn't necessarily work all that well, and besides, PPC versions of OS X are increasingly ancient history.
    Last edited by kehander; 2011-11-03 at 11:21.

New Lounger
    Thanks

No dos apps in 64 bit Windows

Quote Originally Posted by kehander View Post
    What the...? Windows 7 32-bit is one thing, but unless I am gravely mistaken, Win 7 64-bit won't run DOS apps, period, at least not without XP Mode or something like it (such as VMware or DOSBox).

This is horribly misleading. That first link to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...40(WS.10).aspx is in regards to the Windows command-line. It might support old DOS commands, but it will not run old DOS programs! A "DOS-box" it most certainly is not!
    I agree! Clarification needed!

Thanks
    Couple of things..

While it is generally quite easy to change the font size in IE, I found that the font size in general in Windows too small. The following information is for Windows 7:

Right click on the desktop, and choose Personalize
    Then, in the left side bar at the bottom, choose Display
    You can then boost your sceen font size to 125% or even 150%
    If that is too much, try Set Custom Text Size in the left side bar... I set mine to 110%.
    It was just a bit larger, but all I really needed to help me read the fine print.

One thing I would really like is the ability to instantly and temporarily change the size of everything on the screen. If you have ever been to a demo of a product (like Adobe) running on a Mac, you will frequently see them zoom in to a praticular spot for the audience to see clearly. This is accomplished by holding down the Control key while moving the scroll button on the mouse. They can zoom in and out very quickly. I wish we had this ability with Windows!

Thanks
    In Windows 7, I can use the same control-scroll on the Desktop as in my browsers. Everything gets bigger or smaller instantly.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks

Printing and DOS

I fully agree that you need XP mode in W7 64 bit.
    In 32 bit OSses, there still is the possibility of running a WoW16 subsystem (16-bit emulation on 32 bit OS).

I also would like to add that the command

Code:
    net use lpt1: \\<Computer name>\<Shared printer name>
    could be used before launching a DOS program to reroute the output from the LPT1: port to a shared printer on any shared printer (Will work with most network shared printers too).

If the output to be printed is a text file, you could also use
    Code:
    print /d:\\<Computer name>\<Shared printer name> <path to the text file to be printed>
    - Eelco

*** Puzzle me! ***