New Lounger
    Thanks

Android phone crashes Win XP PC

I realize this may be a phone issue and not an XP issue, but my phone provider has been no help in solving this so I thought I'd give this forum a try. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I've had an HTC Incredible (android/verizon) smart phone for over a year, with no problems plugging it into my Windows XP SP3 PC to transfer files (I use "Disk Drive" mode and simply drag files between devices).

Now it no longer works. Once I plug in the USB cord, the PC freezes for the most part, and I cannot open any applications. When I unplug the phone, the blue screen of death comes up and I have to reboot my PC.

I tried a different USB cord, a different USB port, pulling out the Micro SD card -- nothing helped. I am on Android 2.3.4 -- could this recent upgrade have broken this? Or a recent Microsoft update? I don't recall changing anything specifically that would cause this to break.

I thought maybe I could remove the phone driver and have Windows reinstall it the next time I plugged in the phone, but the driver is not listed in Device Manager. Does anyone know how I could find and remove the phone driver? I assume it was automatically installed the first time I plugged in the phone (which then worked fine for a year).

I finally had to fire up my Win7 laptop in order to get the files off the phone -- that worked. But I really need this to work with my XP desktop like it always used to. Thanks.

Thanks
    I had a similar problem with a digital camera a couple years back - plugging into USB would take the system down. After some fiddling I found it would only happen when I had the camera attached to the mains using its adapter - if I ran it on batteries it was OK. I concluded the power adapter for the camera was faulty (though it did charge the battery ok) and creating power problems for the PC.

I ultimately solved the problem when I got a card reader on the PC and now just pop the SD card out of the camera for transferring stuff, which is much faster and easier.

So I am suspecting a power compatibility problem in your case as well. It is possible your power supply is overtaxed and the additional device is taking it down. You could get a powered external USB hub and connect the camera to that.

If you attach a flash drive to the USB, does that work OK?

In disk drive mode your camera is interfaced to the PC like a flash drive, and uses the Windows drivers, so no special software is required. You could go into device manager and delete the USB controller(s) and then reboot and let XP re-discover them and reinstall the drivers, but I doubt that would help.

Jock

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jockmullin For This Useful Post:

garyzel (2011-11-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jock, thanks! I will do some experimenting with your suggestions as soon as I have a chance, and I'll let you know what happens.
    Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried using a powered USB hub but it did not help the issue. I do appreciate the suggestion however. I'm still wondering if it's possible to uninstall the drivers the phone uses? The first time I plugged it in, didn't Windows find and install some drivers automatically (or something like that)? I'd like to make the computer think it's never seen the phone before and reinstall whatever it did before, but I don't know how to do that. I don't see any specific phone drivers in Device Manager. Any ideas on how I might return to the "pre-android-phone" state on my PC?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As jock mentioned later on, if its using USB controllers and mass storage devices, delete them all and reboot and let them rebuild....worth a shot. Otherwise it might be something the phone is now doing that isn't working right, especially if all other USB devices work ok, but you said the phone works fine on a W7 system, or just the card?
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-11-08 at 20:33.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Infinicore, thanks for your advice. Luckily, it wasn't necessary to delete all the USB controllers. I did some more Internet research first and found a few people with similar problems on some Android forums. Here is the fix they described. I followed it, and it worked -- my problem is now fixed. I don't really know what this does -- just that it worked! If you are having the same or similar BSOD problem, you may wish to give this a try:

Dial ##7764726
    Hit Call
    Type Password 000000 (that's 6 zeros)
    Hit Feature Settings
    Choose CD ROM
    Click Disable
    Hit menu, commit modifications (it will say no item changed)

Here's where I found this:
    http://androidforums.com/incredible-...ndows-7-a.html

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well we knew it was a conflict somewhere but that is a rather obscure one.

Thanks
    Hi Gary

Thanks for posting back, always good to know these things and to provide links for others whose droids may act up.

Jock