Star Lounger
    Thanks

Operating system back up

Hi all, I would like a software product that clones my C: drive. I do not need a back up of data etc. I had Macrium reflect but the back up there needs the OS to boot to get to the backed up data on drive D:. No good. In days gone by Norton ghost did that but you had to be in DOS. I have read many posts but most of them concern themselves with data back up which I do not need. Just the safety of a Win 7 64 bit operating system back up in case the computer crashes. I tried Acronis 2012 but it will not install. It says " fatal error" no one can figure out why. This however is a different issue. Could someone suggest what I should obtain to do this job. Regards Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I don't really understand what you mean. Macrium needs the OS to boot?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The Linux boot disk that one can create with Macrium is actually quite decent.
    Macrium also offers hard drive cloning, although you may have to pay for that program option.
    Norton ghost, if I'm not mistaken also offers cloning and the capability to create a boot disk.
    TeraByte Unlimited also offers some decent tools as well, not least among them is HDD cloning.

Acronis, if you can get beyond your current issue, is also a viable & popular application that provides a cloning capability.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi ruirib, the Macrium rescue media (CD) when used needs to be able to get you to where the back up is located, D: in my case, and then click on back up.xml. If the operating system is not working you can not get there. So, no go. Please note that the boot disk is not the same as the rescue media. They are two different items. The rescue media I was able to create but the boot disk not. Also the last time I tried to make a boot disk from Macrium, the Ubuntu disk could not be created it said unable to create.
    Please note that my Win 7 Home Premium is 64 bit.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Peter,

Something must have gone wrong there. If you couldn't restore a backup without the original OS working, there would be no reason to backup in the first place (well, most of the times, anyway). I am not a Macrium Reflect user, but I am sure one of the users here can confirm that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes ruirib, exactly correct.I am hoping someone will. Thank you for the reply. Regards Peter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Peter,

If your system couldn't create the Macrium Recovery Boot Disk my guess is that there is a problem with your CD/DVD burner. I'm assuming that your system does have a CD/DVD RW drive and not just a CD/DVD ROM?. You might try creating the Boot disk on another machine you can get access to it should still work in your machine.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petrox View Post
    Also the last time I tried to make a boot disk from Macrium, the Ubuntu disk could not be created it said unable to create.
    petrox,
    Hello...Macrium Reflect can make an "Image" of your OS (by itself) or your "Data" ,or any "combo" hard drive or partitions.... You then can make a "Recovery Disk" ...This will allow you to access the image , provided that the "Image" is not placed on the HD that has gone bad. When you boot the "Recovery disk" it loads the Macrium Reflect program and does not care if Windows (OS) is working or not. You should always place your "Images" on a different HD ( not your OS C: ) I use Macrium Reflect V-4.2.3638 and this works on XP, Vista and "7" ...The new version "5" won't let me make a "Recovery disk" ...(makes it ..just won't boot) you can get previous versions of Macrium at "FileHippo" Macrium Reflect Free Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred and Retired Geek, thank you for solving the issue I replaced my DVD/CD burner and used Macrium version 4.2. it all works now. Regards Peter

Thanks
    There is now a free version of Macrium out there. I have a Purchased pro version, as it allows for the OS to be migrated to dissimilar hardware. I had an extra License so I made an image and put my W7 64 bit on my laptop, using the transfer to dissimilar hardware feature Installed activated with the extra license I had just had to update a few drivers and re-active Office 2007 and Paint Shop Pro X2