Thanks

Can Spam Software cause machine heat-up?

Does it matter what spam software I run as far as making my system fan run faster for longer periods? Is this a physical reality, or is it some other setting? Because I had SpamBully installed (Windows 7 64x, Outlook 2010 32-bit), and it seemed that every two or three minutes my fans would start revving at high speed. I uninstalled SB, and installed CloudMark, and now it seems the problem is gone.

Now, I understand that "if you don't hear you're an, it's obviously better", but is there a physical or technical reason why this would be the case?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    One Possible Explanation:
    If for whatever reason the application, or some faulty process thereof, caused an inordinate amount of CPU and or GPU usage over a period of time, the fans may kick into high gear to help reduce the temperatures that the load caused. (think of it like running Prime95 for 20-30 min)

It may have been a faulty installation or configuration, or it may have just taxed your system more than it could handle.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-11-03 at 18:18.

Thanks
    It's just so strange...Now my machine is so quiet... Spam Bully just seemed to like to make the machine have to work! Too bad, because it WA flexible and good at it's "job."

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Star Lounger E Pericoloso Sporgersi's Avatar
    Thanks
    I assume you mean anti-spam software and NOT spam-sending software?

For years, from Windows 98 over XP, Vista and now Windows 7 HP SP1 (32bit), I've had very good and reliable service from the free K9 spam-filter. It certainly never overtaxed my old Pentium 133 MHz.
    K9 worked superbly well with Outlook Express and continues to do so with Thunderbird (all versions).

But ...
    K9 is for standard POP3 email accounts only. It does not support IMAP nor does it support Hotmail, AOL or any other kind of webmail type systems. It does not natively support SSL or secure authentication.

Please do not confuse my K9 application with the comparatively recent K-9 Mail app for the Android operating system.
    http://keir.net/k9.html
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi
    "It is Dangerous to Lean Out! [of Windows]"

Thanks
    Some security suites have always had a reputation of consuming more system resources and consuming more resources makes things work harder. These suites seem to have gotten better in recent years, but this is a big reason why I choose not to use a suite, but have separate AV/AM and firewall apps. Perhaps I'm paranoid thinking back to Win 95/Win 98 days, but I just like the newer light resource apps better. just my 2 cents.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I agree with you on that Ted...lighter resource use is a good thing!