Thanks

Build Your Own Speakers

As a cabinet maker I, on several occasions, built my own speaker boxes and then purchased the speakers and other hardware to build my own stereo speakers for my stereo..

I was wondering if I could do the same for my computer and if it's practical what would I need that would be different for a computer then for a steereo system?

Thanks guys, I'm sure someone out there has done this..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    I was wondering if I could do the same for my computer and if it's practical what would I need that would be different for a computer then for a stereo system?

Thanks guys, I'm sure someone out there has done this..
    Banyarola,
    Hello... I haven't a clue ...but can give you a warning of what could happen ( did happen to me ) ..I have a set of "BOSE" speakers for my PC ...(some of them even come with a "Sub Woofer") ..What happened or the best that i can figure.. Is that i had them sitting on my desk , next to the PC tower... Due to the vibration from music, video \ audio streaming, etc. the screws in my motherboard started to back themselves out and became so loose as to cause random BSOD's.... Guess due to loss of a good ground connection ... So if you make a pair of "killer" speakers just put them somewhere else. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I guess if that could happen it would happen only to you..

Actually, I just want a normal pair of speakers to replace the ones I have now...

I did a Goggle on it and it seems a lot of people have built their own...

I read something about them having to be powered because the computer doesn't put out enough power, except in your case, to work them.
    Actually, the pair I have now from an old PC are powered from a wall adapter.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There should not need to be anything different about the cabinets. Back in the days of CRTs, speaker cabinets/boxes for PCs had to be shielded because of the speaker magnets. Most people traditionally place their speakers next to the monitor and you know what a magnet does to a CRT. Since that's not an issue with LCD panels, you can do what you like. As far as power, yes, they will need to be powered. I'm not sure very many sound cards can fully power the drivers on speakers to get anything decent out of them. I'd love to see what you come up with, post some photos when you're done please!

Wow, Fred, you must really rock out!
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2011-11-04 at 11:19.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Well Doc, I'm gonna research it further and will start working on them as soon as I can.
    I figured I could get a pair of car speakers..They are pretty good quality these days and I could get them from a junk yard.

I'm not looking for a symphony experience but just good quality sound that's clear and crisp.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That may cause you more headaches than you really want. Most newer factory car speakers rely on amps mated to the head unit. The speakers will work in other applications but will often sound very poor. Look at some of the ceiling/wall mount speakers that don't have housings. There are fairly decent quality options out there that won't break the bank.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Well Doc, thanks for that tip...
    I'm checking on sites now about building your own...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not just buy a reasonably price set of computer Speakers made for PC then just rehouse them in your own hand made cabinets. Then you know you will have all the correct parts required even the power unit and plugs/sockets etc.

Thanks
    CC, my goal is to build my own from scratch...
    I know I could buy a pair and re house them but I enjoy the challenge of doing it completely..