Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Why does my humble servant (Windows 7) not obey me.

I was experiencing a problem with 'Windows Media Player'. It was running something, I know not what, but it was using 6 to 7 percent CPU. So I killed the process in 'task manager' ... and it came right back. So I killed it again, and again it comes right back to life. This was like a 'zombie' that won't die, so I thought okay, I'll just do away with the '.exe' file by renaming it (for now, change it back later). Anyway, when I tried to change the name of the Windows Media File executable, I received the following:

MediaPlayerProblem-1.JPG

What the hell is "TrustedInstaller"?? And no matter how many times I pressed 'OK', the window kept popping up.

I have run into times when Windows 7 pops up a window that says something to the effect that ' ... you need system admin privileges to do this'. When I press 'OK' in this condition, Windows goes ahead and does my bidding.

The problem above is the first time Windows 7 has refused to do my bidding. I am the only user of the system ... I am 'Administrator', and before I hear form all of you that say 'never' run as 'Administrator', this has been my practice for many years now ... both with Microsoft Windows systems and with UNIX systems. So ... I only would like to know why I am receiving this message (above), and how do I get around it??.

Any help (except don't run as administrator) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Gary

Thanks
    According to a post about halfway down this thread, some Microsoft executables have a higher level of protection.

Windows trusted installer denying access to files - Microsoft Answers

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding, Super Moderator. That worked. I also found this thread here on your forum: 'http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/' in another post just a few clicks away. You can pick up a nice 'zip' file from this link that makes a change in the 'registry' which makes changing 'ownership' much easier. Whatever 'Windows Media player' was doing, it finally quit. Believe me, I had not made a call to the 'Windows Media player', so it had no business running at the time on my system and using up resources. Sometimes I think 'Microsoft' is just one big 'Virus'. It's just too bad that I need it so much. Maybe someday soon, I'll become a MAC guy (choke, gasp). ;-)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRally View Post
    I had not made a call to the 'Windows Media player', so it had no business running at the time on my system and using up resources.
    "BR"
    Hello... one more thing just to be on the "safe side" download and run this free "Mal ware Scanner" Malwarebytes Don't know why WMP should be running on its own. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Maybe you need Windows right now but you do NOT need its evil co-hort "Media Player", it is nowhere to be found on any of my systems. I have VLC media player setup for all my media needs and it always behaves kindly and with a servants attitude.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks 'Just Plain Fred' ... I do have 'Malwarebytes' running. I got that 'tip' when I first joined this forum, among many more valuable tips and info I've received right here.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info RussB. 'QuickTime Player' is my default for video of any kind. That's why I was suspicious of 'Windows Media Player' doing anything. I am now looking into 'VLC media player'. Thanks for the link.

Thanks
    BikerRally,

Glad you got it sorted although you seemed to have used a brute force attack!

Just a quick thought, did you have WMP set to automatically download media info from the internet? That may explain the background process as it can take some time to complete depending on the size of your music library.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni,

Yes, I can be pretty aggressive when I get irritated. ;-)

I don't use WMP for anything. I did not set any settings on it. It is just a 'hobo' on the same train. What would I be 'automatically' downloading from the internet? Or more succinctly, what would 'Microsoft' be doing or downloading to my system through WMP?? I'm thinking about doing what I think 'RussB' is suggesting and just deleting the whole app.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    If you want to remove WMP go to Control Panel | Programs | Turn Windows features on or off. Expand the "Media Features" section and uncheck WMP. OK your way out.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

So doing that will just 'turn it off' and I don't need to 'delete' the app? That would probably be a better solution if that gets WMP off the grid.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Permanently deleting protected files is not easy with Windows 7. You are better off "turning it off" that way Windows should disavow all knowledge of it.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

Done. Although 'Windows' made a big production about it .... " ... oh, you shouldn't do that", or words to that effect. And then it pretended to be doing some serious changes ... "This will take several minutes ... yada, yada". And then it wants a 'reboot'. Oh well, I'll see how the system behaves and know I have the option to turn it back on.

Thanks for this tip.

Gary

Joe, I see that you have 0 thanks on your .. I'll call it 'Avatar' section? That can't possibly be true. How can I add my 'Thanks' to that section? And it's a GREAT BIG THANKS, because you probably saved me from some serious system problems.
    Last edited by BikerRally; 2011-11-04 at 16:38.

Thanks
    I'm back to the party (apologies I've been moderating a local recycling group)

I now see you removed WMP completely. Good choice if you don't use it.

Although it is a bit late in the thread the type of things that WMP will download is album art, "proper" album titles & track info along with genre and other bits and pieces relating to the tracks.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni,

No, I did not remove the app. I took Joe's advise and just turned it off. See above postings. As far as: "album titles & track info along with genre and other bits and pieces relating to the tracks." ... I get all that with 'iTunes'.

Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast