Lounger
    Thanks

SSD Drive questions

I know that an SSD has a limited number of writes. If I have a shortcut on the desktop (C-drive is the SSD) to an app on a different drive, do writes in that app affect the SSD because of using the shortcut?

Some apps installed themselves automatically in Program Files (x86) on the SSD, but I have their output files on a different drive. When I work with these apps, even though the output is on the other drive, are there any writes to the SSD from just using the app?

Another question - I know that the SSD drive should not be defragged. Somewhere I read that it is OK to do it once a year, or if there's been a lot of installations. My defrag program uses something call "trim" for the SSD. What does that do and does it involve any writes? And any comments on the "once a year" idea?

Thanks for any and all answers!
    Sheila

Thanks
    No need to defrag an SSD, even just once a year. Turn Defrag off to your SSD. Information on TRIM.
    As far as programs are concerned you will be better served in terms of performance, by having them installed/run on the fastest drive and not concern yourself
    with how they may eat into the drives MTTF.

Limiting read/writes to SSD's can be achieved by tweaking various aspects of your operating system, such a disabling indexing.
    These forms of read/writes are taking place far more often than a program shortcut.

SSD Speed Tweaks
    SSD Fresh, Optimize Windows For SSD Usage

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If there are, they would be very minimal unless the application is creating intermediary or temporary files as part of its operation and by default those are located on the C drive. Otherwise an app will load into and execute in RAM and reads and writes of data will come/go to the source and destination, the exception there being if the swap file is on the SSD and it is accessed more than normally when that app is actively processing data.

Defragging an SSD does no good at any time since it is all random access, in other words, it does no good whatsoever to order or optimize the data since each storage bit cannot be accessed any faster or slower by putting it somewhere else on the drive.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I will check out the links you both provided. I'm guessing it would be a good idea to put the swap drive on the non SSD? (Probably the links will answer that)

Sheila

Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked out the links (and learned a lot), and applied most of the tweaks. The one I'm not sure about is changing Firefox's cache to use RAM - is that better than moving it to the other drive? If so, how much memory capacity should I use? My laptop has 16 Gigs of RAM. If it is better to move it to the D drive, how do I do that? I couldn't find any information for that.

Thanks,
    Sheila

Thanks
    My laptop has 16 Gigs of RAM
    Are you sure about that? That is a lot of memory for a laptop.
    I'm guessing it would be a good idea to put the swap drive on the non SSD?
    Leave the pagefile on the SSD unless you are totally hard pressed for space.

I checked out the links (and learned a lot), and applied most of the tweaks. The one I'm not sure about is changing Firefox's cache to use RAM
    You're probably better off leaving Firefox's cache where it is. If you have a fast internet connection you can reduce the size of the cache.
    I have no opinion on having your browser cache utilize RAM, perhaps someone who has tried this can respond.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I really do have 16 Gigs of RAM. I need it because I work with very large Photoshop CS5 files. Which is why I thought it would help to move the pagefile.

My internet connection is not terribly fast - satellite is all I can get where I live (and work).

If anybody has any experience with moving Firefox's cache to RAM, I hope they will post about it.

Thanks,
    Sheila

Thanks
    With regard to the pagefile, you may want to limit it to a minimum so that more of that memory is used.
    Set for a minimum value of a hundred MB, to a maximum of maybe 1 or 2 GB. It will always default to the minimum
    unless it is actually used.
    Maybe you ought to try moving Firefox's cache to RAM, see how things fair;
    Speed Up Firefox by Moving Your Cache to RAM, No RAM Disk Required

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I changed the pagefile (and also moved it to the D-drive). I checked performance after the change and it stayed the same. (7.1)
    After reading some caveats about moving Firefox's cache to RAM, I just moved the cache file to the D-Drive.

As far as I know, I've done everything I could now to keep the number of writes to the SSD to a minimum. (Hopefully).

Thanks very much for your help!!
    Sheila

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Clint Have tried your Link to move cache to ram but ended up slowing down Firefox quite a bit. Have set the settings back to using disk but cannot delete the add integer it suggested for setting the cache size. Right click only lets me copy and a few other things but no delete option. I have had to set modify to '0' or use the reset option which changes it from integer to string with no value. Solved found if restart computer then the entries with no value disappear.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-11-10 at 19:43.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    (If there are, they would be very minimal unless the application is creating intermediary or temporary files as part of its operation and by default those are located on the C drive. Otherwise an app will load into and execute in RAM and reads and writes of data will come/go to the source and destination, the exception there being if the swap file is on the SSD and it is accessed more than normally when that app is actively processing data. Defragging an SSD does no good at any time since it is all random access, in other words, it does no good whatsoever to order or optimize the data since each storage bit cannot be accessed any faster or slower by putting it somewhere else on the drive. ) The above was copied from Infinicore post just to show what happens as his post had paragraphs.