New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Search indexer problem

Operating System - XP SP2 Home edition

When I start the computer, I get three or four different notices that Windows Search Indexer has encountered a problem and must be closed. This started when I stupidly removed the latest update to the indexer when I was having a problem.

What, if anything, can I do to fix this. Is there anyway that I can re-download the update and install it. Or how can I reinstall the indexer and start over with the updates.

Many thanks for any and all help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    If you are using Windows Search 4.0, try downloading it again, and reinstalling.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How can I determine which version I am using. I normally go to help, about, to get the version. However, when I do that for Windows Search it does not show search version, but instead shows Windows version 5.1.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Look in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs. Windows Search 4.0 will be somewhere near the bottom of the list if it is installed.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

jdbrad (2011-11-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, JoeP. Found it and it is 4.0. Will try downloading it now.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Late follow up

JoeP,

After my initial posts, I became ill and lost a couple of weeks. I'm now getting back to this.

Can you give me a link to download this? I have tried google and ms. When I go to MS, it tells me that they no longer support the sp2 version. I have looked at several different places and cannot find it to download. (Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. )

Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you don't have SP3 installed you need to install SP3 first. SP2 is not supported anymore. You may be able to search around for a version that will work with SP2 but I don't have a link other than what I posted previously.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you don't have SP3 installed you need to install SP3 first. SP2 is not supported anymore. You may be able to search around for a version that will work with SP2 but I don't have a link other than what I posted previously.

Joe
    Would this be available on the installation disk for xp. I still have it.

Thanks
    Consider a 3rd party search tool for Windows XP if you rely on the default file search capabilities.

Agent Ransack
    Everything search engine (Gizmo recommendation)
    UltraSearchv1.6
    Glary's Quick Search

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

jdbrad (2011-11-30)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbrad View Post
    Would this be available on the installation disk for xp. I still have it.
    It depends on when you purchased your PC. Look at the CD. The labeling will tell you if it has SP1, SP2 or SP3 integrated in the installation. You can click on System under Control Panel to verify the Service Pack currently installed on your computer.

Service Pack 3 is available for download from Microsoft here. This is a standalone full executable install. Just ignore the network IT description because you definitely want the full standalone installation file. If you prefer the ISO download to burn to a CD, use this link here.

Check out this MS TechNet guide to Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3. It should answer any questions about the installation of SP3. You will see that MS recommends you have SP2 installed before installing SP3. This is not a requirement; however, you must have at least SP1 installed in order to install SP3.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-11-29 at 07:11. Reason: MS TechNet link info

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

jdbrad (2011-11-30)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbrad View Post
    . Or how can I reinstall the indexer and start over with the updates.
    jdbrad,
    Hello...You might give this a try UltraFileSearch Free The program does not "build" an "Index" and is completely configurable..(can also be set to search into folders...to see the files)... as to how and where to do a search etc.You can download the portable or the installer version...and in my opinion is better than the "Windows Flavor" Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-11-29 at 11:39.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

jdbrad (2011-11-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your info. I don't really care whether it is windows search or not.

To answer one question, I have sp2 and that is what the install disk is. I have hesitated to install sp3 because of all the posts I read about the problems people have when trying to install it.

The reason I was looking to get the windows search going again is that it will hang up the machine and then pop up the screen wanting to report the problem to MS. I have told the machine to not load the program at start up, but something is still creating a problem.