Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

When patches fall off Patch Watch list

I have been using the patch list for awhile, thank you Susan.
    I have been wondering why the list is so short but from what I have read patches that are changed in status to Install are deleted from the list the next time it is published. Ok that makes sense. That means that any old patches that are NOT on the list are safe to install, correct? That applies to XP as well??

I would like to make a request that would make the list easier to use (at least for me). The patches are presently grouped by status this makes it hard to check which patches are ok to install. I tend to not install every month and when I do my list is sometimes lengthy. Checking each off against what is essentially a random list of numbers and then rechecking to make sure if I don't find it on the list at all when it has fallen off is time consuming. A list sorted by KB # would make my life easier.

Regards,
    David

Thanks
    This is an easy Do-it-Yourself project. I have posted about it before but I its been a while.

when the patchwatch table is posted in the news letter, highlight it, copy it and paste into a spreadsheet. Then you can sort it by number and save it. You can further group by install, skip, hold etc if you want to. All highly maneuverable. Being somewhat anal about it, I even color code it. Yeah, need to get a life.

Barbara

Thanks
    Yeah that's probably what I will do. Got a lot of 'do it yourself' projects. If I don't waste too much time updating I will caste a concrete base for my irreplaceable 300 watt torchiere lamp .....

Thanks
    David

Thanks

When patches fall off Patch Watch list

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    when the patchwatch table is posted in the news letter, highlight it, copy it and paste into a spreadsheet. Then you can sort it by number and save it.
    Barbara, I tried to do this, but I couldn't get it to work. I copied the table and pasted it into a spreadsheet. But I did not
    get something that I could sort. I'll try to upload a screen shot to show what I mean. Patchlist.gif shows what happened when I pasted the file into a spreadsheet. The information about each patch does not turn up in a single row. If there's something else I should be doing, I'd be most grateful if you'd let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

patchlist.gif

Thanks
    You always have to adjust columns and spacing with something like this. If you are not familiar with pasting into spreadsheets that could be the problem. Also I see that you included the top lines from the table where it says "patch", "released", "description" and "status" in the upper part of your screen shot. You have to copy only the data in the table. Could be that you can remove the extraneous parts. If you can't manipulate it, PM me and send an actual copy of your spreadsheet.

Barbara

Thanks
    Barbara, thanks very much for your prompt reply. I have no problem with adjusting columns and spacing, but I think that's not the problem here. When I copied the patch table, the resulting text file included carriage returns and line feeds after each element, and thus the information did not line up in appropriate rows. I've attached a screenshot of what part of the file looks like in ClipMate, my clipboard manager. I'm not sure how to proceed, short of moving each element so that they line up in meaningful rows. I appreciate your offer to have me send you the spreadsheet, but I'm not interested in having someone do this for me; I want to know whether there's a simpler, less tedious procedure that you used and that I can as well.

patchlist_cm.gif

Thanks
    Not being an expert by any means, I don't know what to tell you. I have done this procedure on two different machines and do not get line feeds and carriage returns..... so all I can say at this instance is that I am running Excel 2007 on Win7 machines so maybe there is some difference with a different spreadsheet program. Sorry it isn't working for you because it is really handy to me.

Maybe one of our gurus will give it a try and see what happens with them.............

Barbara

Thanks
    Hi, Barbara. Thanks for your reply. I don't think the difference is with the spreadsheet program but rather with the clipboard program. I say that because if I go into hex I can see all the carriage returns and line feeds. I use one of the most widely-used clipboard programs, ClipMate. My guess is that a number of other Windows Secrets readers also use ClipMate (or similar clipboard programs), and thus they too would encounter this problem if they try to copy and paste the table from the Web. Thus, I think it's worth pursuing this issue (and this may be another argument for having the list of patches arranged ON THE WEB in numerical order, as a number of other people have requested).

Hmmm...do you receive Windows Secrets newsletters completely in your email program or do you simply receive a link to click on to go to the website? I do the latter. I wonder whether that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Yes, I receive my newsletters via Email. Could make the difference.

Barbara

Thanks
    Thanks, Barbara. I'm hoping that some of the folks responsible for the newsletter are reading this discussion. I think it raises some issues that they should be aware of.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Win7
    Internet Explorer 9
    Excel 2010
    Folks
    Here is what worked for me: open the newsletters online using I.E.9, then highlight the patch watch list & copy it using the Win 7 clipboard. Paste into Excel and all the content will be arranged in cells as you need them. Just cleanup the rows and columns as you want. This is the only way I could get the data into different cells correctly. Firefox wouldn't work and neither would Chrome.
    Rob

Thanks
    Thanks, Rob, for your very interesting feedback. This gets stranger and stranger! When you say that you "opened the newsletter online using IE9," are you saying that you received the entire newsletter in your email, or did you just receive a link to the newsletter on the Web? I ask because I tried to duplicate what you did, but I could not; however, I simply get an email message containing a link to the Windows Secrets newsletter, whereas Barbara (and you?) gets the newsletter in its entirety sent via email. I think this may be important. Be that as it may, using the Web version, I found IE9 was even worse than Firefox: when I copied from IE9, I got double carriage returns and line feeds after each element, and no tabs. Thus, when I tried to paste into a spreadsheet, the entire file was pasted into cell A1! I tried again, shutting down ClipMate and using Windows 7's clipboard, but the result was the same. I then went into hex to look at what had been copied, and that's when I saw the double CR and LF and no TABs.

Please let me know how you receive the newsletter--does your email contain the entire newsletter or does it just contain a link? Also, are you using Win7 32-bit or 64-bit?

I might add that I have an idea of how to deal with this in Firefox. If it works (or perhaps even if it doesn't), I'll report back here.

Thanks
    Success!! I've found a way to save the patch table to a spread sheet using Firefox 8. I went to the version of Windows Secrets newsletter on the Web and copied the data from the patch table to the clipboard using ClipMate (though probably any clipboard program would work, including the lame clipboard built into Windows 7). I then pasted the data from the clipboard into my text editor, UltraEdit. In UltraEdit, CTL-H toggles text view and hex view. I went into hex view and did a search and replace, searching for 0D 0A 09 [carriage return, line feed, tab] and replaced each instance of that with just 09 [tab]. I then hit CTL-H again to return to text view, and copied that revised listing and pasted it into my spreadsheet. Bingo! I then adjusted the size of the cells and then sorted so that the patch numbers were in numerical order.

I might add that though this will work in Firefox 8, it will apparently not work in IE9, since when I copied the data from IE9 I got double carriage return line feed [0D 0A 0D 0A] and no tabs. It may well be possible to deal with that, but it's a lot simpler using the data from Firefox.

Many thanks to Barbara and Rob for their input, and to David for raising the issue.
    Last edited by cyberdiva; 2011-11-22 at 10:07.

Thanks
    I'm glad you succeeded at last, but what a lot of steps. Why not change your subscription to the newsletter so you get it email? I like to keep copies so it works well for me. My ISP has restrictive download limits but the volume of mail is not a problem.

Barbara

Thanks
    Hi, Barbara. I might try changing my subscription, if only to see whether the version that is sent is easier to work with than the version on the Web, but on the whole I prefer getting just the link. I don't want to save entire newsletters. Every now and then, I'll save an article in Surfulater, but I'm happy not to have the entire newsletter on my computer. Of course, it's always possible that I'll change my mind--it's been known to happen. As for the method I've hit upon, I think it sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Again, many thanks for all the helpful information you provided.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast