Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recommend XML parser/converter for Wordpress import?

I have an XML file from a dead blogging platform (Tucows Blogware). I want to import the content into a wordpress blog.

I'm looking for a way to parse the XML into either a CSV file or to convert the XML to the current Wordpress import/Export file format.

I really have no idea where to start on this and would welcome any suggestions about software or other approaches .

The ideal would be a two pane approach that displays the source XML in one pane and allows me to map the data to equivalent out put fields in the second pane - but I've not bbeen able to find anything like that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks
    I don't think WordPress uses XML, but I'll admit I've only taken a passing glace at the database.

Have you tried the importer mentioned here: Importing Content « WordPress Codex #6 Blogware? It's probably a good idea to backup the database first in case data gets corrupted.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for replying

Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I don't think WordPress uses XML, but I'll admit I've only taken a passing glace at the database.

Have you tried the importer mentioned here: Importing Content « WordPress Codex #6 Blogware? It's probably a good idea to backup the database first in case data gets corrupted.
    I have seen that link but I believe it is out of date - certainly I can't find any reference to blogware on the import screen of recent versions of wordpress.

The export I have from Blogware is full of non-standard tags and is rejected by most XML validators/converters (eg http://www.luxonsoftware.com/)

I'm looking to get it into a CSV format that I can manually fix up in Excel and then import to Wordpress. For now it looks like I'm in for a long and tedious series of find and replace edits in notepad++ :(

Star Lounger
    Thanks

[SOLVED] Doh! "We have a plugin for that"

Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Thank you for putting me in mind of the wordpress codex. While Blogware is not on the standard import screen, there is a plugin that pretty much did the job. in about 15 seconds. There is still a chunk of manual formatting to do - but the bulk import worked.

Thanks for the mind-shake!

Thanks
    Wow, good legwork. "Someone" should edit that Codex page. (Open source projects often seem to suffer from lack of interest in documentation...)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I beleive you can use an xml editor to do your parsing, a good one is Liquid XML Editor, to do your data mapping you should be able to use their data mapping tool which I beleive is free or beta at the moment.