2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7/64: Can't fully uninstall or delete IE9, can't reinstall IE9

I've got a complicated catch-22 situation trying to reinstall IE9. The other day, the IE9 executable disappeared from All Programs, altho the file reference to it was correct (Properties) and IE9 started ok from the desktop icon. I asked MS Answers about it and got the two standard special methods: in Programs and Features, work with View Installed Updates and Turn Windows Features off and on (see link below). That process did get rid of the executable iexplore.exe, but not the rest of the files in the folder. Either because the files are still there, or for some other reason - registry? - reinstall failed, just stopping midstream and recycling itself back to the Windows Update box showing one update (IE9) available. I also tried the more extreme method MS suggests: turn on Windows Firewall and turn off Comodo and SAS Pro (but not MSE), which didn't succeed either (error 3715) and left me unable to connect to the internet. After reverting to the anti-malware apps, I tried just deleting the remaining folder/files, but that fails too because they are controlled by TrustedInstaller. Changing Owner/Creator Permissions fails for probably the same reason, i.e., Access not granted. Hence, I'm stuck.

So, any ideas how to break out of this logjam (short of reinstalling Win 7 or ditching IE9 completely)? You can see the methods suggested and my blow by blow what happened trying them at
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...f-b86e4698e16a. Btw, I thought the U.S. Govt' settlement with Microsoft broke the browser free from Windows, but it sure doesn't look like it from this experience. Thanks,

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    I've got a complicated catch-22 situation trying to reinstall IE9. I tried just deleting the remaining folder/files, but that fails too because they are controlled by TrustedInstaller. Changing Owner/Creator Permissions fails for probably the same reason, i.e., Access not granted. Hence, I'm stuck.
    "hs",
    Hello... In the past with Vista, i had removed IE from my PC manually .. As i remember it was not a straight forward procedure. IE had it's hooks into everything.. I will give you some tips that i had learned by doing this .

1.First and most important... is to make a complete Image of your OS as it is now ... Use Windows ,or a 3rd party app ..Macrium , EASEUS, Acronis, etc.

2. Try the easy first Uninstall IE9

3. When that fails and leaves behind files and folders...your going to have to do this the hard way ... "Taking Ownership" by using some "tools" ex: Unlocker, jv-16 (not free) , revo uninstaller, CCleaner,and a "Search Utility" Agent Randsack, Everything , UltraFileSearch... "Unlocker being the most Important (Also Free). Mix and match here...get all the free ones and give a try ..the jv-16 is used to rid the OS of registry entries.

4. Once you have all the tools (or some ) you have to "search and see all the places that IE has "leftovers" ...You then have to open the folder and "Take Ownership" and or "Unlock and delete" each file inside each folder... You usually have to do this before you can remove the "parent" folder...Make sure that you restart after your finished "Deleting" and run another scan to be sure.... Post back with questions .. i have never encountered a folder\file that i could not delete, or take ownership of ....Might take some doing though Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

highstream (2011-11-07)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JPF. I wasn't specific, but I had tried all your suggestions, including Unlocker, before posting. CLint's link was what was needed to allow a reinstall. Now, there's still one problem: what got me looking into this was my noticing in Opera that the InIE button on my address bar wasn't working. It still isn't. I obtain it, as I have for years, from http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons. I don't see why, but could this be related to the fact that deleting the IE folder didn't delete my previous IE settings, such as home page, being logged into Yahoo, etc.? I didn't run jv16 PT before the reinstall. Thanks,

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highstream View Post
    Thanks JPF. I wasn't specific, but I had tried all your suggestions, including Unlocker, before posting. CLint's link was what was needed to allow a reinstall.
    "hs",
    Hello.. I don't have a clue about "opera" etc. As far as "Taking Ownership" there is no difference doing this either way ...using the Right click context program, or the manual method (properties, advanced etc.)...Other than with the manual method you have more choices as to who owns what, and what each is permitted to do "Control Wise". It's a two step process First the "taking ownership " bit, then step two ...giving what degree of control to each user is to have ...Most miss this bit... Glad it worked in either case. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Turns out the Windows part of the problem is not entirely solved. Where it stands now is that IE9/64-bit is installed in C:\Program Files (the old one was in C:\Program Files (x86), presumably 32 bit). In the Start Menu, I noticed that both the old "Internet Explorer" and the new "Internet Explorer (64 bit)" showed, so I removed the former. The problem now is that when I type "iexplore" in the run box (or whatever that's now called) it doesn't find anything. Any ideas? I suspect solving this will solve the Opera "InIE" issue.

(JPF, I wish you had been sitting here last night while I was trying in myriad ways to change ownership and control, and failing.)
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-11-07 at 13:19.

Administrator
    Thanks
    On a 64-bit version of Windows you get both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE. Right now, the 32-bit version of IE is the default browser. You can not set the 64-bit version to be the default browser. Because most IE addons are still 32-bit only, it is recommended that people use the 32-bit browser for their day-to-day work. You can try the 64-bit version whenever you wish but if you have a problem with a site you should see if it works with the 32-bit version before seeking help.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks (now you tell me . I decided to do a system restore to first thing this morning. At that point, there was a 32-bit IE folder with everything but the executable, iexplore.exe. So now I just installed the 64-bit version, which added the 32-bit executable. The problem is the latter won't run, even from the file itself, i.e., no response. Same in Safe Mode. Actually, none of the executables in that folder appear to run, if they're supposed to. Any ideas for getting this fixed? Thanks,
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-11-07 at 18:01.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you upgraded to IE9 as opposed to having it already installed on a new PC. I'd uninstall it and reinstall it. Otherwise you might need to do a repair install of Windows.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've uninstalled IE9 and reset IE8. However, the IE9 problem is replicated with IE8: IE8 32-bit does not run from the Start Menu, All Programs or the file itself. Only the 64-bit version runs. It doesn't make sense to reinstall IE9 with this ongoing. A sfc /scannow yesterday and today returned no integrity problems.Any suggestions (other than repair install or restore back to Oct 16)? thanks,
    Last edited by highstream; 2011-11-08 at 16:44.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: thanks to a repost and an MVP - MS engineers are rarely helpful - the problem is solved. For reference, there are scripts by Kai Schätzl for "Repair IE8 (IE7) and IE9" at http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=a...133&artlang=en for just this sort of thing.

Thanks
    Great find there highstream! Those scripts will certainly come in handy!
    Fran Parker, AKA Bambi, Linux User #183283, Ubuntu User #11114, CNI Radio
    BambisMusings, Tumblr, Twitter, Malware Complaints - Stand Up and be Counted!
    I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which grant[s] a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.
    --James Madison, 1794