Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Firefox 8 released on Tuesday, November 8th

You can read the whole article here:http://blog.ffextensionguru.com/2011...ru%27s+Blog%29
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Good grief, when will they stop issuing what appear to be major upgrades?

It only seems like last month that I was quite merrily browsing away on V3.6

Thanks
    Instead of the usual 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 etc.
    They elected to go 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0 etc. (with a few x.1's thrown in)
    Remember this. "A Rose by any other name, still has Thorns" or something like that.

Good grief, when will they stop issuing what appear to be major upgrades?
    When they catch up to IE.
    IE8.0 or IE 9.0 sounds far advanced to FF 3.6 or FF 3.7.
    Last edited by RussB; 2011-11-07 at 08:18.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hi All,

I just updated my laptop to 8.0 w/o a problem. All addons seem to still work including RoboForm 7.5.4.
    Addons:
    NoScript
    FlashBlock
    GreaseMonkey
    WOT
    XMarks
    Taco
    Ad Block Plus
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hi All,

I just updated my laptop to 8.0 w/o a problem. All addons seem to still work
    Hi "Geekster"
    I have one more fore your "Add Ons" Forcast Fox..Weather
    It's allows you to see the radar over any area that you wish in real time...( many configurable options) Just sits on your browser ... "hover " your mouse over the Radar scope icon and Bang! you can see your whole area... and whats coming! Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2011-11-30)

Thanks
    Fred,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a try.

Regards,

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the install with no problems. In fact, this time Mozilla was more upfront about what addons and extensions I have were not yet compatible and would be disabled until FF finds them updated. That's an improvement over the previous updates. Actually I was surprised this one took so long, they were coming once a month for a while it seemed there. This version is stable, virtually everything works except one of my IE tabs, but there are more than one so that wasn't an issue. All in all this went very well and what I like most is that they have stopped messing with my setup. One of the earlier versions went to an almost chrome like setup and I LIKE my menu tool bar and icons where I am used to them being. This version remembered all of what I had customized and didn't change any of it. I like it. :^)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two PCs at work and a laptop at home -- all running XP SP3.
    Yesterday, on one PC FF asked to auto-update to 8.0 from 7.0.1. I let it, even though IE Tab + 2.04.20110724 was disabled because it "is incompatible with Firerfox 8.0." All of my other Extensions (Add-ons) appeared to be OK after I got the new dialog and saw that they were checked off.
    Later, FF asked to be updated on the other PC. I let it and ALL of my Extensions were disabled. No dialog. Several restarts of FF 8.0 and then, lo' and behol', they all appeared in the Add-ons Manager with an "Enable" button. I clicked on them all, except for IE Tab +, restarted FF and there they were!
    Still later, I realized that things didn't look the same as before, on both browsers and I discovered that I had another one under "Appearance." which was "Firefox 3 theme for Firefox 4+ 1.4.0." I clicked on "enable" and after another restart on both PCs, they look fine. Obviously, I am NOT a fan of the "Default 8.0" Appearance.

genej313: You wrote, "virtually everything works except one of my IE tabs, but there are more than one so that wasn't an issue." More than one IE Tab add-on? Which are compatible with 8.0 and which are not? Why more than one (other than this issue.) Do they do different things?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Chowur, I just clicked the link above and was warned by Firefox that this was an Attack page!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertDianella View Post
    Chowur, I just clicked the link above and was warned by Firefox that this was an Attack page!
    Funny, the other day I clicked the link, on my laptop, and no problem. Today on my desktop I got the Attack Page warning just like Robert.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi All,

Just upgraded my Desktop to FF 8.0. Not nearly as painless as my laptop. I received a tab for each of my addins and had to check a box to reinstall then Restart FF. I had to reinstall RoboForm to get the FR Toolbar to display. I also had to uninstall and reinstall Email-This! it didn't auto update. All done everything works fine.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks

firefox crashes on startup

When I started Firefox this morning, it said it was applying an update and then it crashed with the Mozilla Crash Report box. When I select the restart firefox option, it crashes again, and again, and to ensure my own insanity, again and again, and because I am a slow learner, again, and again.
    Then I used IE look for help and found no reported problems/fixes for my issue. I tried inputting my mozilla crash id into a mozilla crash report site and got 'not found' errors. I tried loading firefox in safemode (holding shift key). I then downloaded firefox to install from scratch. That seemed to be a successful install, but firefox still crashes on startup. I don't see a 'select an older version' button (what I think I need until this bug is fixed. Any suggestions? Time for chrome? or?

**Update***
    I found a 7.0.1 version which I installed and, of course, now none of my plug-ins work (and I really need my roboform plugin). Back when I was running FF 7.0.1, there were plugins that worked with that version, but evidently the plugin manager isn't capable of finding the older appropriate plugin. Seems 'wrong' to me in the sense that I would expect this to be baseline functionality for a plugin manager.

** Update ***
    At least FF was up. I went to the Help/Info tab and FF starting applying some updates automatically. They looked like 2-digit updates. I figured that's ok, perhaps I'll end up with 7.5.6 or something. The update process presented a screen showing a number of plugins and a note saying they would be disabled unless I selected them. I selected the ones that were of interest to me. The updates/installs completed and FF restarted and then crashed again. I am now back where I started. I can not get FF to start without crashing immediately. ARGH!!!!
    Last edited by RobG; 2011-11-11 at 10:14.

Thanks
    Rob,

Did you UnInstall FF before trying the new install? If not I'd try that using Revo Uninstaller, then reboot, then run CCleaner, then reboot, then Reinstall.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    In case the problem is some corruption in your Firefox profile, try starting up to the Profile Manager and create a new blank profile. You then can selectively migrate your bookmarks and other personal data (e.g., any saved passwords) to your new profile and reinstall your key add-ons.

See: Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Edit: Unless/until you have a good backup of your profile folder, you probably do not want to do a complete uninstall.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just upgraded to Firefox 8.0 from 7.0.1. Most add-ons work fine, including Roboform 7.6.3, WOT, etc. However, it disabled my Java 6 re 29. Did anyone else get this problem? (There is already a question on Mozillazine, but with no answer.) It also disabled an Adobe Create PDF add-on, but that also did not work in 7.0.1. If I had known about the Java issue, I would have waited to upgrade. Now, I guess I will stick it out for a few days to see if a fix emerges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast