Thanks

Lounge slowdowns caused by inetinteractive.com waits

Greetings, Lounge managers

I have been noticing long (5-10 sec) delays in starting & opening threads when using the lounge.

At these times, Firefox indicates it is connecting to or waiting for inetinteractive.com.

Presumably this is a third party site with hooks into windowssecrets.com. However, you might want to know they are bogging your site down, at least currently.

Hoping this info is of use to you.

Best regards, Jock

Thanks
    iNet Interactive owns both the Windows Secrets Newsletter and the Lounge Forums. Check out the information at the bottom of every Lounge page. I have not noticed any specific constant slowdowns, only some now and then, like any other web site. I use Firefox most of the time myself.

You might want to delete your browser cache and temp files to see if that has any positive affect on Firefox's performance.

Thanks
    Thank you for mentioning what you are seeing. I can't reproduce the results currently, but I'll keep an eye out myself. What page were you on when you received the hang?

The only item I see on this page being served from inetinteractive.com is the leader bar at the very top, "Get the essential Windows news you need - weekly, FREE! Subscribe now to Windows Secrets!" I viewed the source of the page to look for references to inetinteractive.com, and that was the only one that was running javascript, and not a plain old URL link.

Can anyone else reproduce the hangs that jackmullin is seeing, with waits indicating inetinteractive.com?
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Thanks
    This happens to me very occasionally, like one a month... So rarely noticed.

Perhaps triple the number of servers you have collecting statistics?!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    No stats are collected by inetinteractive.com, so this isn't related to statistics.

Thanks
    Err, so what does inetinteractive.com actually do, then?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    On windowssecrets.com, it hosts this javascript referenced by each page:

Code:
    <script src="http://www.inetinteractive.com/ads/output.php?id=20" type="text/javascript"></script>
    That code displays the message at the top of the page, and makes it easy to update the content of the message which currently states "Get the essential Windows news you need - weekly, FREE! Subscribe now to Windows Secrets!"
    Matt Bidinger

Thanks
    This situation was occurring this morning between approx 9:10am Eastern and 9:30.
    Now at 3pm I am not experiencing them any longer. I have seen this in the past, but infrequently. Don't remember if it was the same time of day, but possibly just related to start of day load on the intetinteractive resource if it is serving multiple high volume sites.

Delays were occurring at each full page load - reading a new thread for example, and also happened when starting to create this new thread. I do clear my chache regularly because I often test site changes and otherwise won't see the change.

This is not really a problem as such, but just thought the info might be helpful.

Best regards,
    Jock

Thanks
    Thanks, its helpful - we want to know about any site usage issues like this. If you see it tomorrow or whenever the next time you notice it hanging on that, post back here. If its occurring more than once every blue moon it might indicate a problem. An occasional hang every so often could be network slowness or anything though. Unless the problems are more far-reaching, more common, or reproducible in some manner, there isn't much to follow up on until then.

Thanks

Happening again today

It's been quite awhile since I last saw this occurring, but it is happening today - getting 15 to 20 sec delays on page loads, while the browser says "connecting to inetinteractive.com ..."

This has been going on for the last 15 mins or so (since I came online); it is now 9:05 EST.

It is really noticeable because ordinarily performance on this site is excellent.

Hope this helps.

Jock

Thanks
    And, of course, 3 mins after posting my prev, lounge performance has returned to normal.

Jock.

Thanks
    Thanks for mentioning it Jock - we're having some DDOS problems on our network, so we're mitigating them, and until they have passed we may see some intermittent performance issues.
    Matt Bidinger